Speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speakers

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speakers

Hey all, I am trying to add a little more sound in my jeep without taking out what little space I have in this thing. I want to add a pair of 6x9s in the door shells. Would the fit there or will I need to add some spacers?

95 YJ
4.0L
Half doors, manual locks.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Zyurazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would look into vdp sound wedges or a soundbar, both use spaces that are unused spots. or even a centrapod
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I added the VDP 6x9 boxes and some quality speakers and it made a big improvement. I didn't even add an amp, just tied these into my sound bar 4x6's, it gave me a much needed bass sound.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The biggest problem I see with adding them in the doors is that you won't be able to remove your half doors after they are installed without unplugging the speaker wires.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback! I'm trying to save money and fabricating my own pieces. I've salvaged two 6-1/2 inch kickers that I made a mount for to put on the rear wheel wells. The issue with the sound bars is the speaks don't have the quality I'm looking for. As for removing doors after an install, I plan on adding quick connects to the speaker wires to make it easy.

Unread 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is plenty of room for speakers and cargo space, here you can see that I stored a medium sized blanket in the available cargo room!
cargospace2.jpg  
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I threw some HK 5.25's into my sound bar. I just enlarged the hole with tin snips. they don't set flush but work great.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
The_War_Wagon
2007 XK Commander 

I used Metra spacers to install 'em in 5x8 holes in my Ramcharger - one pair was enough to move them out sufficiently to fit.

Bazooka sub tubes are handy in small spaces, too. I picked up an older pair for $50 off Craigslist, and they work GREAT in my RC - one would probably be plenty in a Jeep.
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
amp713
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
there is plenty of room for speakers and cargo space, here you can see that i stored a medium sized blanket in the available cargo room!
bahahaha
Unread 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
There is plenty of room for speakers and cargo space, here you can see that I stored a medium sized blanket in the available cargo room!
That's perfect! LOL I have a 10" sub I threw in the back, but I took it out when I sent my jeep for some paint and decided not to throw it back in. It just wasn't the same as running dual 12"s in the back of my Saturn (I hated that car). While I'm at it, does anyone want to buy a dual 12" kicker enclosure? Used for about 4 months. Never been abused or played anywhere near it's limits. The saturn I had died and they wouldn't fit in the jeep.

Unread 08-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

isn't the hard top basically a fiberglass speaker enclosure for multiple 12" subs?
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah just flush mount them into the roof
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I had a hardtop. Only have a soft top for now. I pulled the door panel off yesterday. Only 3 inches of clearance for a speaker. So I purchased a 1 inch speaker spacer for the instal because I need 3-5/8ths inches just for the speaker to fit.

Unread 08-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Most sound bars are made of plastic. Plastic does not make a good speaker enclosure. How many home speakers have plastic enclosures?
My sound bar is wood with a heavy padded canvassy covering velcro'd on. I don't think they are in production anymore. It takes 6x9's and rocks with decent pioneers.

I see no reason why you can't make your own sound bar out of marine grade plywood then pad it and cover it with a marine sunbrella fabric available in many colors. It would blow away any production plastic wedges or soundbars.

Take two weekends and do some woodworking and fabrication instead of being disappointed with the crap they are trying to pass off on us.
Unread 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
Zyurazek

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas
Most sound bars are made of plastic. Plastic does not make a good speaker enclosure. How many home speakers have plastic enclosures? My sound bar is wood with a heavy padded canvassy covering velcro'd on. I don't think they are in production anymore. It takes 6x9's and rocks with decent pioneers. I see no reason why you can't make your own sound bar out of marine grade plywood then pad it and cover it with a marine sunbrella fabric available in many colors. It would blow away any production plastic wedges or soundbars. Take two weekends and do some woodworking and fabrication instead of being disappointed with the crap they are trying to pass off on us.
I like that idea. Do you have a picture of your sound bar?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.