Speaker system for 1989 Jeep wrangler YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speaker system for 1989 Jeep wrangler YJ

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
2101394sam
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Speaker system for 1989 Jeep wrangler YJ

Hey guys. so i want to replace the original 1989 stereo system in my 89 YJ because it it sounds like doo doo. I want to get a good system that can be fairly loud and make me feel the double bass for metal... i'm not gonna be bumpin super gangster beats or nothin just i want it to sound better..

I want to put a four channel 4x800watt amp in there but idk if the jeep can handle it... will it work? what happens if i put in an amp that draws too much power from the alternator? what do you guys think?

2101394sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you will be fine :P i run 6 speakers. 2 front 2 on the roll bar 6 1/2 .. and 2 tweets

i have 12inch Kenwood Subs as well.. with 1200AMP
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

worse come to worse if your amp pulls to much power (unlikely) just buy a power capacitor from crutchfield and that will fix your problem
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
2101394sam
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys, I was thinking that i will just put in a sub woofer or two and just swap out the original speakers with something better, what size are the speakers in the front dash board? It looks like to me that i will have to take the whole stupid dash off just to take the metal covers off of the front speakers. maybe i could take out the factory and install some bigger ones? how hard will that be?
2101394sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
ReMike
1993 YJ Wrangler 

in order to get to the speakers you have to unbolt the windshield drop it down, then remove the dash. retarded concept but it is what it is
ReMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #6
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Those front speakers are a pain. My neighbor swapped his without moving anything. I could not on mine. It really is not as bad as it sounds though. I folded the windshield (replaced the cowl seal at the same time,) unbolted the dash and pulled it out just enough for access. It sounds like a pain but it was fairly simple and only took about an hour. To me it was worth the extra work to not fight anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMike View Post
in order to get to the speakers you have to unbolt the windshield drop it down, then remove the dash. retarded concept but it is what it is
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

do not get a cap from crutchfield to cover up that your system draws to much power from the alternator. fix the problem dont mask it. get a bigger alternator and run a larger wire to your amp. if its going to be anything big on on wire i suggest 00 wire so that your on th safe side of its size so you dont have to worry about over drawing. and always remember fuse goes RIGHT after the wire connects to the battery. also i suggest an alpine headunit for sound quality.
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
VooDuuChild
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4x800 watts? Are you sure about those ratings? Sounds like they are fibbin a bit sayin an amp puts out that much. What amp is this? If it really puts out 3200 watts, you're gonna absolutely want at least a 1 farad capacitor to keep it from stressing your charging system while dimming your lights whenever the bass hits and also have a sub that can put up with that kinda power (assuming it's clean power in the first place). The front speakers are 4x6's and even the best ones can't handle that kinda wattage.

Really, what I would try and find is a solid 5 channel amp like the old Alpine MRV F450. Assuming you've got dual (or triple) outputs on your deck (for sub and highs) it works great and you can adjust the gains for the sub and the highs independantly and it also has built in EQ to handle the frequencies put to all the speakers. I've been running an older version of this amp which is virtually the same, except instead of 4x50 for highs and 1x200 for the sub, mine runs 4x50 for highs and 1x300 for the sub. I've had it in two cars and bought another one for when I finish my 4Runner project. It's really a great amp and hard to beat. Plus, you can find them cheap now (mine was over $500 new back in the day); the second one I bought used for like $120 off ebaY.

Post a link to your amp, I wanna see the specs and can then give accurate advice on how to run it if you plan to run it. A lot of cheaper, no-name kinda amps are out there stating they have thousands of amps, when really, it's a couple hundred dirty amps that even subs wouldn't sound good running.
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
Ben_88Jeep
Vendor
2010 JK Wrangler 

No one mentioned this, so I thought I'd chime in... In my YJ I bought a nice pair of form fitting speaker pods that sit tight up against roll cage. The pods are great because they not only let you run additional speakers, but they also have beer holders!***

JC Whitney has em:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/sound-boxes/p2001245.jcwx?filterid=d1202y1988j1

*** I don't recommend drinking and driving. You might spill your beer!
Ben_88Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
carlitos_90
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4x6 in front go with alpines/pionner or if you got the cash Infinity.. i love mine and its easier less hassle if you just removed the dash..plus helps to clean up around it you know dusty and stuff other wirings all lose.

do u have a soundbar?

and for subs... skinny or deep?
type of box can u fabricate one or u buying one? or getting one made?
carlitos_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
VooDuuChild
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have 6x9 pods like those above and they're great. I used about ten extra feet of cable on them so I can take them out and set them on the hood for outdoor tunes. If you get something like that, make sure that the surround material is a rubber/foam/etc type that is weather resistant or you'll need new speakers right quick.
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
94yjstocklook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Didn't wan't to post up all of the pictures here, but this is my thread and shows what I did. I have no issues, not sure what the amp is right now but its shown in here with the box. check it out if ud like

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...build-1139144/
94yjstocklook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , amplifier , audio components , charging system , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.