speaker pods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > speaker pods

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
damian H
1988 YJ Wrangler 

speaker pods

Anyone out there using the speaker pods that go between the roll bar and rear fender well. If so how do they sound and are they worth the money?
I am looking to buy a set but not sure how they will sound,and what kind of quality they are since they are plastic. thanks for any info.

damian H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got a set whivh holds 6x9 speakers. I also have an amp under the drivers seat which powere them plus the overhead sound bar. By using the eq and crossover in the amp the 6x9's carry the bass.

It sounds good enough with the top down at 65. It sounds great with the hard top installed.
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have them too. They sound good and I am only running a cheap CD player...no amps. I also have the center pod that goes in front of the gear shifters. Thinking about my small 4ch amp in the future when I rewire the entire rig and remove the computer. It would be a good place to hide it under the dash.

The matl quality of the plastic is pretty good. Relatively thick and sturdy. I would think they would take quite a blow if they had to.

HTH
Z

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I put a set in my sons YJ. I did run into a problem with them. I ordered a decent set of 6x9's off the internet for the pods. The magnet on the speakers was rather large, and this caused a problem where I couldn't get the speaker back far enough to sit flush. So I had to improvise a little, to make it work. The other thing is get some more baffle material, because what you get with the pods is a joke. But I amped the 6X9's and 5.25's we installed in his Jeep and I have to say they actually sounded pretty decent.
Metzgerhund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
WMiller13
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have them as well. They sound pretty good. I bought a set of Audobahn marine 6x9s. I also ran into the problem with no being able to get it back in far enough. Made a spacer out of wood. I think their worth it.

waiting: 1" daystar BL and skid row engine skid.
WMiller13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

I installed a set recently and they sound pretty good to me They came with some insulation material that fits around the speaker inside the cavity to help the sound quality. Be careful that you do not get a 6x9 speaker that has a huge magnet and is deeper than the pod or it will hit the fender and have to be shimmed out for clearance.

[IMG][/IMG]
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3

Last edited by wb2510; 12-27-2007 at 01:30 PM..
wb2510 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i put the thor sound wedges in years ago and they sound pretty good.
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
MUDDYJEEP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a set and think they sound great. Looked at them for awhile and thought they'd be in the way some how, but they blend in w/ the wheelwell and haven't had a problem w/ stuff knocking into them - the ones I have are a very hard plastic & look pretty durable. They are 6x9's but I didn't install them so not sure what they did or if they had any probs installing them
MUDDYJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Have the same set up as Shenadoha, sound bar with the pods and amp under the seat. I'm hard of hearing but with the top off going down the freeway can hear the stereo just fine. I have them set to take most of the bass since the sound bar speakers are fairly small. Also gives the kids somewhere to stash thier drinks when they are in the back. Only drawback is I'm pretty tall and when I have the seat all the way back it hits them so I have to have it up a notch.
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
damian H
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thank you all for the response,looks like I'll order me a set this week.
damian H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.