Speaker placement input needed please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speaker placement input needed please.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speaker placement input needed please.

Just now getting around to messing with the stereo in my YJ. I am moving the deck into the console for easy access and security.

I have a 10" sub and amp that I am not shure if I am going to use or not.

I just got a pair of FREE !!! 6.5" Clarion marine speakes that I would like to use. Just can't decide where I want to put them. I am leaning towards making a new sound bar to fit the pair of them in. Put a nice over head light in it too.

I was thinking of making my own little pod box and putting them infront of the shifter but for some reason I just don't seem to like that.

So any way, what are your thoughts? Make a new sound bar or put them some where else.

My original plan was to move the deck. Put the new Clarions in somewhere. Maybe get new 4x6's for the dash. And only if it is needed, put my sub in it since I just have it.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I made a custom sealed enclosure for an 8 inch sub and put it under my from drivers seat. It has roughly 0.5 cu ft of volume and I am thinking about using a low profile 10" in the box in the future. It required a lot of measuring and fabrication, but no one even knows it's there and it doesn't take up any cargo space. It sounds great and is made of fiberglass so it's weather resistant.

I have my amp mounted in the location you're thinking about mounting your speakers on the trans tunnel . I want to move it to an ammo can console once I get that built.

My 5.25" component speakers are currently mounted in my half doors. Obviously, that's not any good if you want to go doorless. I am working on a set of full doors so I plan on relocating them in the future. Your proposed speaker location will work, but they won't correctly project staging because only one will be directed at the driver. I am going to build pods that mount in the rocker area under the doors and angle them slightly upward. This will give the correct stereo projection and allow me to run doorless. The soundbar will give better projection, but it's still not ideal.

One thing that you will want to avoid is using overly expensive components in a Jeep. They are obviously open to theft and you don't want to be bummed out if they are stolen. Hope this information will help you make your decision.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
AZoriginal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look at what 1993BlackYJ just did for speaker placement. I like it and want to do the same thing for mine.

Behind the Seat Speaker Mounts

They are available at Summit Racing for $69.95 Wedge Speakers

Last edited by AZoriginal; 05-16-2010 at 01:33 PM..
AZoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
rigger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen those before but I did not think that they would work well in mine because I have some small storage boxes that come out over the front of the wheel well. But now that I have seen pictures of some in a YJ, I know that they would work out just fine.

That is a good point about sound out put from putting them infront of the stick on the floor. I thought about it loosing the stereo effect but I figured what the hey, its a Jeep. How good am I really going to get it to sound anyway.

I got these Clarions for free so I was just wanting to make use of them if I could. I like the idea of some 6x9's behind the seat in those corners and a then maybe some new dash speakers. That would be more than enough for me I think. The only time I really listen to the stereo is in slow traffic or when my little girl is in the Jeep. She likes it more than me.

Guess I will keep tinkering with it. I would rather save money for a winch than spend it on stereo stuff. So I am just trying to use what I have.
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

I dont know if i can post pictures yet or not but here is how mine is setup. Granted i do have a sound bar with alpines and front speakers are alpines so this is more for 360 sound. The 6x9s are mounted to the back wheel wells by magnets and i can mount them to the hood for BBQs and camping and what not.

MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.