spartan locker vs aussie locker on a dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > spartan locker vs aussie locker on a dana 30

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

spartan locker vs aussie locker on a dana 30

Hello everyone,
I plan to put a spartan locker on my Dana 30 front axle on my 89 yj... most of the people I heard, saw on internet, recommend to lock only the front axle.
that will greatly improve the traction...
honestly guys, what would you recommend between spartan and aussie locker ??? do not get offensed, but for me they look pretty the same, and I used to have a 1990 454SS and I have locked my rear 14 bolts 9.5 axle with a powertrax , and the powertrax also looks like the same....
Please help me, and tell me why not to locked the dana 35 rear axle...

89yjtahiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

For someone in Tahiti I'd say whichever one you can get from a vendor you like that has competitive shipping. I often get mainland vendors to flat-rate box stuff to me. Those that are interested in helping me save on shipping are those that get my future business. Otherwise they are pretty much the same thing.

As far as locking the 35 there are many of us who have done ok doing so. If you have island wheeling like hawaii and guam then its a lot of moist rutted trails with some steep sections. Contrary to the "35=explosion" theory this terrain can be navigated much easier and with less throttle with a rear locked, even a 35. If you keep the tire size tame, know the limits, and work with the traction then you can have some fun. There are a couple other factors to evaluate. I, and maybe like yourself, literally cant drive any farther then I could walk in a day. If I were doing exploratory wheeling 100s of miles from home and I couldn't build properly, Id leave the 35 locker out. If you are wheeling on private land then have at it, let the parts fly and have a good laugh after. Also if you plan to use the 35 for the long run then this is something to keep in mind. In my case I knew id eventually replace it so I wasn't going to be too devastated when bad happened. Again I wasn't going to be putting too many people out with an arduous rescue either.
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Jp magazine did an article where they examined which axle is better locked. In the long run they just suggested locking both. In my opinion being locked is better then not being locked. I'm only locked in the rear and haven't really had any trouble
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fratis, and schaef81, thanks for your replies,
In fact tahiti is like hawaii, with a lot of rock and mud terrain, out of town.
my YJ is a daily driver, to the office and to enjoy the week end cruising
I want to have something really street able, but very efficient when needed on trail, by the way we do not have ice for info in Tahiti... lol
people are always take consideration about ice, when talking about locker
I run 32X11.50 falken tires on 15X8 wheels, and I think my ring and pinion is a 4.10
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The fact that your YJ is more of a dd is enough reason not to lock the rear as tire wear will be worse when locked on the streets.

Lock the front with a lunchbox locker and save the rear for when you decide to go for something selectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

tks carlos14, this is a useful answer, ok now I understand...
Unread 01-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #7
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

That has been my general understanding which I've gathered from my time on the forum. I am going to go with a spartan up front and after I build my rear axle, then possibly an ARB or OX air locker in rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey bud, sounds like a cool place to have a YJ

You will love being locked! I even liked the Aussie Locker click-clack. Makes you feel like a badass.

If you can find a spare set of axle shafts front and rear, you will be able to recover from breakages pretty quickly.

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm happy you guys take time to reply...
I will then go for a front spartan locker for my dana 30 and maybe after a good posi for the rear, so it will be fully streetable..
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Tillmbil
1994 YJ Wrangler 

lockeers

I had an ARB in the rear and had trouble climbing dirt hills. Added the front Aussie locker and pretty much quit using the rear locker.

As for clacking, mine only made noise in a hard left turn when not in four wheel drive. Months later I replaced the ring and pinion front bearings and seal and the nosie went away.
Tillmbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just a note, the aussie is made in the USA and the Spartan is "assembled" in the USA. I took this as made in China and the only "assembly" done here in the US is putting it in a box. I could be wrong on this, but I went with the aussie anyway.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

good to know....
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
89yjtahiti
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After ready all the reviews, and all the replies on my thread, I have another question
I have ordered a spartan locker for the front dana 30 and I just order this morning a aussie locker for the dana 35
what would you do first
lock the front then make a try ???
lock the front and the rear together ???
lock the rear first ???
I want to be sure that I will not be stuck on rocks or mud, for my next expedition in the island
many people, said that it will no affect the steering if not engaged in 4WD on the dana 30 front so it will stay pretty street able in 2WD, with little clicking when turning, right ????
Please I don't want to do any mistake
help me
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
djwrangler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The front locker won't be engaged in 2wd but if you run that Aussie in the rear, it will always be trying to lock/unlock depending in how much throttle you're giving it.

I highly recommend just locking the front in your case. I wouldn't do the Aussie in the rear for a daily driver. I made that mistake with my old XJ. You'll be surprised how much more capable you're rig will be with just a front locker.
djwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lock them both. I ran a rear only for years with no issues or excessive tire wear through 2 sets of tires and 80k miles. Then I was locked front and rear. My xj has been locked in the rear for 2 years with no issues either.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.