spark plugs tell me what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > spark plugs tell me what?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
bluedaffy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

spark plugs tell me what?

Here are 2 views of my spark plugs. The reason I pulled them is to see if my carb and timing settings agree with the condition of the plugs. I'm looking for that mark on the ground strap that shows if the timing is too far retarded or advanced and I can't really see one. Should it be an obvious color change on the metal?

Also, as you can see there is a lot of carbon on the base of the insulator, what does it mean if there is a lot of carbon in this area but not higher up?

20120630_131922.jpg   20120630_131944.jpg  
bluedaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats normal ignition to me

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the plug was ran a bit rich, and leaned back out... Maybe still running a tiny bit rich as the carbon build up is a bit high on the ceramic. Try running them another 100 miles or so and check again, the carbon will burn off over time if you are not running rich. This could also be that the plugs are not the proper heat range, a hotter plug will burn off the carbon fater. If the carb is adjusted correctly and you use the stock range plugs, you will have very little soot and a light brown tint on the insulator. Google "plug chop" and look at some photos and do a little reading. As long as the plugs aren't fouling you are in the ballpark and will run decent, you just might hurt gas mileage, worst case it will shorten the life of the cat and fail emissions testing.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
thats normal ignition to me
I agree with zeus87gn. For a carb'd vehicle that is as old as yours they look fine to me also.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb , spark plug , timing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.