Spare tire mounting issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spare tire mounting issue

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
dkasparaitis

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spare tire mounting issue

So after about 15 years of driving around with the stock spare tire I decided to put the correct size spare tire (31 X 10.5) on my jeep. I will be using the stock tire carrier but I have reinforced the tailgate and replaced the hinges with new ones.

The problem is the tire barely contacts the top two rubber bumpers and it's even worse on the bottom two. I know I want the tire to be tight on these pumpers to reduce stress on tailgate so im going to make some spacers out of some rubber sheeting I have.

My question is how much compression do you want on the bumpers and should the wheel make contact with the tire carrier when it's all tightened down? Basically, do I want 4 or 5 points on contact?

As an aside, after years of lurking around here for free I have decided to overcome my chronic cheapness and become a full member.
Also, this the first question I have posted on here so it's a pretty big day for me.

dkasparaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Jeremy89

Question, how did you reinforce your tailgate?
Jeremy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You just need enough pressure so the tire does not flop around. Have someone look and move it by hand to make sure there is no daylight between the tire and the snubber. If I had to put a number on it I would say squash it about 1/4 inch.

I had a 31" tire on my stock tailgate for a few years with no problem and no damage. But, I was starting clean with no prior damage.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasparaitis View Post
So after about 15 years of driving around with the stock spare tire I decided to put the correct size spare tire (31 X 10.5) on my jeep. I will be using the stock tire carrier but I have reinforced the tailgate and replaced the hinges with new ones.

The problem is the tire barely contacts the top two rubber bumpers and it's even worse on the bottom two. I know I want the tire to be tight on these pumpers to reduce stress on tailgate so im going to make some spacers out of some rubber sheeting I have.

My question is how much compression do you want on the bumpers and should the wheel make contact with the tire carrier when it's all tightened down? Basically, do I want 4 or 5 points on contact?

As an aside, after years of lurking around here for free I have decided to overcome my chronic cheapness and become a full member.
Also, this the first question I have posted on here so it's a pretty big day for me.
This is interesting to me because I just dealt with the issue myself. I also have 31x10.5 tires. On mine, the bumpers were too tall for that tire and I could barely get the lug nuts started on the hanger studs. I actually tried an aftermarket spacer, but didn't like that. I ended up taking the bumpers off and cutting 1/2" off of each. Now I have nice firm contact with the bumpers, and the wheel is seated firmly against the hanger plate, which I think is ideally what you want.

So my issue was exactly opposite of what you're seeing. On yours, makes me wonder if someone has already cut down the bumpers.
bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
This is interesting to me because I just dealt with the issue myself. I also have 31x10.5 tires. On mine, the bumpers were too tall for that tire and I could barely get the lug nuts started on the hanger studs. I actually tried an aftermarket spacer, but didn't like that. I ended up taking the bumpers off and cutting 1/2" off of each. Now I have nice firm contact with the bumpers, and the wheel is seated firmly against the hanger plate, which I think is ideally what you want.

So my issue was exactly opposite of what you're seeing. On yours, makes me wonder if someone has already cut down the bumpers.
probably different rim backspacing
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
probably different rim backspacing
Very possible. My wheels are stock '88 Alum.

Just realized, this thread is 1 1/2 years old.
bpounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Andrews98TJ

Hey can you fit a yj top on a TJ?
Andrews98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Jeremy89

Yeah I have a tj (2003) and I have the space to mount my 33 inch spare if I lift the 3rd taillight and 1 1/2 inches, I just worry about it warping the tailgate
Jeremy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spare tire , tailgate , tire bumpers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.