Spacers or adjusting steering stops? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spacers or adjusting steering stops?

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spacers or adjusting steering stops?

Hello all,

I recently bought 33x12.5x15 MT tires and I know a bunch of people are against spacers and I was suggested to adjust the steering stops instead of widening my tracks. I have no idea what my rims size is other that its 15"x??".

So question 1: Is there a way to calculate the depth of my rims and the backspacing?

2: Up to what width can you roll no spacers without rubbing? Any one riding with the same size tire as mine without spacers?

I know i'm not giving a lot of info but thats all I got, so thanks for any useful comments! (or unuseful who am I to judge lol)

TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Backspacing:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-whee...ckspacing.aspx

Not all tires are created equally.

EG: All 33's are not 33" tall. Some are closer to 32's while some are taller than 33". Plus, the 12.5" widths are not the same, especially when coupled with a narrow wheel like a 15x7. The narrow wheel will allow for the same exact size tire to be able to be ran on a different sized wheel without rubbing due to the narrower wheel even if the backspacing is exactly the same.
Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can manually space your wheel outwards and see how much it takes before the rubbing is alleviated. 1/4" and its easier to adjust the stops. More then that and you might want spacers.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Id just start add washers under the stops and see how much it cuts down your steering. Id try this first spacers are not cheep.
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It should not take much to add washers for spacers. Mine took two very thin washers to limit my steering with 33s.
bill8bud is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

stock YJ wheels are 15x7, and the backspacing is somewhere around 5"

if you look at tire manufacturer specs, most if not all will say a 7" wheel is too narrow for a 33x12.5 - though in real life, some people run them with no noticeable issues at all.
most mfrs will call for a wheel 8-10" in width for that tire.

on to the other issue of backspacing and rubbing on a wide tire. I'm currently running stock wheels with 31x10.5 tires and I rub slightly at full lock. For me, it's far enough at the end of the turn that I don't bother with adjusting the steering stops - if I hear/feel it rub, I just back off the wheel a little. if I were running a 12.5 on the same wheels I'd definitely have to do something about the backspacing because I feel adjusting the stops for that combination would lose too much turning radius.

you CAN run spacers and in reality, if you get a decent spacer and they are torqued properly upon install (and loctite is used on the studs holding the spacers on) you'll be just fine. the nay-sayers will often comment how a spacer adds leverage to the wheel and will shorten the life of your bearings... true to a point, but no more leverage than using a wheel with less backspacing.

but for about the same cost as a set of decent spacers, you can get a set of brand new set of steel wheels in 15x8 with about 3.5 - 3.75" backspace and be ahead of the game as you'll now have a proper size wheel for the tires you've got mounted
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I believe my wheels are 15"x8" with no offset. The infos you guys gave me are pretty useful so thanks!
TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.