Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Sounds like my Jeep's peeing

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  jbars 
#1 ·
While I was changing my oil today, I noticed that after running the Jeep and turning it off, it sounds like it's peeing inside the oil pan. I'm guessing this is just oil dripping down out of the engine into the pan, but I was just wondering if this is a normal sound. It made the same sound every time I poured in a quart of oil while I was refilling after the change as well.

On a side note, has anybody used the FRAM HM16 high mileage filter? Any opinions? I bought it because they were out of the PH16 and the TG16.

#3 ·
Don't waste your money buying the more expensive oil filters. I hope you change your oil filter every time you change your oil, or else there isn't much point in changing your oil in the first place.

I've changed mine every 2K miles since I've owned it. Just buy the PH16 and save the 5 bucks over the price of the "high mileage" filter.

#4 ·
Ok, glad to hear it's a normal sound. Yeah, I only bought the high mileage one because I wanted to change my oil tonight and Wally World was complete out of PH16's. The HM was only like 2 bucks more.

#7 ·
Just adding to the pile here. All three of my jeeps have always done this.

#8 ·
Engine normal... but if it pees like an old man long and weak:shhh: you could have crud buildup in the galleries and passages. If your brave (or confident in your seals) run an engine cleaner before your next change. Seafoam, Amsoil makes one, etc. I pulled a valve cover off a ford 289 that had all but one return plugged, It was starving for oil on hard acceleration and sucking oil through the intake valve stems. The engine needed work anyway but the drop in pressure I noticed had to be from it pooling up on the head.

#9 ·
If you want to upgrade to a larger filter go with one from a 1993 Rustang with the 5.slow. This filter is almost twice the size of the stock. The benifits would be greater filtration and it also holds about another pint of oil. I've been running this for a few years and have noticed that at 3000 miles my oil isn't as dark. This will work for both the 4.0 and the 2.5. The number for the purolator is 30001 while i think the fram is the ph, tg 18 series.

#10 ·
I haven't seen the oil pressure drop below 40-50 since I got it last week. I drove it 3 hours home and around town a little bit.

It takes maybe 30-40 seconds for the dripping sound to stop after I shut off the engine, so I wouldn't consider that long or weak. :)

#11 ·
wanna hear my big truck when i shut it off!! it holds 12 gallons of oil, and it sounds like a guy peeing after a 12 pack!:rofl:

martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.