soon to be mine 89 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soon to be mine 89 YJ

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
admar2

soon to be mine 89 YJ

picking it up in two weeks. 1989YJ 4.2liter 6cyl, 5spd. 135k miles on her. new clutch, needs some exhaust work probably to pass emissions.

I think its got some potential. the only rust on it is around the windshield, clearly visible in one of the pictures. gotta fly up to northern VA and drive it home (TN)

best part is the price. FREE to me!!!

just paying for the plane ticket and the gas to bring it back.

suggestions, comments, insults are all welcome.

jeep1
jeep2
jeep3
jeep4

admar2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
cueball

looks good - especially for the price. i would take the windshield off and address any rust that may be on the tub under the cowl. get it now before it gets too bad.

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
admar2

yeah, I'll definitely be stomping out that cancer as quick as possible. that'll be the first order of business for sure.
Unread 04-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
CityJeep90

Looks great! I hope the two weeks go fast for you.

It looks like at least 3 more weeks until I can meet up with my brother in law to take possession of my first jeep. time has really been dragging lately.

Have fun.
CityJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
admar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie YJ
Looks great! I hope the two weeks go fast for you.

It looks like at least 3 more weeks until I can meet up with my brother in law to take possession of my first jeep. time has really been dragging lately.

Have fun.
oh, I've been waiting for like 5 weeks to pick it up. so the next few days will be nothing at all.
Unread 04-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
rrclimber
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks great for the price!
I don't see too much rust on the frame but it's hard to tell form the photos. You are gonna need a new top I think. I would drop that windshield when you get it and check and see how bad that rust is. Might need a windshield replacement. Nice thing about free is that you can spend the cash that you would have had to spend buying it on fixing it instead. Good luck. Keep us updated when you get it.

95', 4.0, 4" Rusty Lift, 33" Pro Comp AT's, Quick Release II Mirror, Pavement ends flip-top, Alpine deck, bazooka amp, sony 10" sub.

My Jeep
rrclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

i like that woodstock sticker.. hehe

nice find...

i wouldn't worry about a top much depending on where you live. a bikini might be sufficient... especially since it doesn't sound like it'll be your daily driver
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #8
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

has it been sat without the windows in place ?? .. if so check for floor rot ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
admar2

the top will need replaced eventually, but it'll be in my garage unless I'm driving it, so a top isn't really a priority. it's just gonna be my "fun" vehicle.

it didn't sit over the winter with the top open, it was zipped up and under a carport of sorts for the winter.

First thing I'm gonna take care of is the rust around the windshield. then I'll worry bout fixin her up. it's been well maintained from what I've been told. doesn't leak any fluids of any type. which I find amazing. already has a new clutch and I've already had my stepdad (that's who is holding the jeep for me right now in VA) tuning her up, plugs, wires, dist cap, belts, hoses, vacuum lines replaced, that type of stuff. he says she's purring real good now.

I've got a feeling it might turn into a money pit though. I've heard Jeeps have a habit of doing that.

another cool thing is that the people I got it off of are the original owners.
Unread 04-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
admar2

oh yeah,

anything particularly good or particularly crappy about the "Islander" variant. cuz that is what mine is.

thanks.
Unread 04-30-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
acejeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admar2
First thing I'm gonna take care of is the rust around the windshield. then I'll worry bout fixin her up. ..............vacuum lines replaced, that type of stuff. he says she's purring real good now.
Windshield frame is a weak point for rust. You can pick up a new one for about 100 bucks. Usually they are not worth fixing. While you are at it replace all the rubber that leaked and caused it to rust in the first place including the cowl gasket. Smear the rubber with RTV. Jeeps leak.

Vacuum lines tend to leak, doesn't hurt to zip-tie every vacuum line at its connection. Seems like there's a hundred of them. One small vacuum leak and whatever little performance you had goes down the toilet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.