Something's "clunking" under the jeep! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Something's "clunking" under the jeep!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
cgseanp

UHHH, So upon closer inspection on my skid plate and the picture posted in #14, my trans mount bolts are coming through that square indent right where you wrote "Trans mount bolts".. Are mine in the wrong spot? how is it even possible? Everything seemed to line up perfectly.

cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp View Post
UHHH, So upon closer inspection on my skid plate and the picture posted in #14, my trans mount bolts are coming through that square indent right where you wrote "Trans mount bolts".. Are mine in the wrong spot? how is it even possible? Everything seemed to line up perfectly.
I think that the spot the bolts come out depend on your transmission and engine combo. Mine is an auto (32RH) and 4L.

No matter the mounting hole, you should check that
1. Yes you do have a transmount and that the bushing is in good working order and the studs are not stripped.
2. Your torque arm is in good working order and the bushings are not smashed from over tightening.
3. Your cat or parts of the exhaust are not smacking the skid plate.

I would pull the plate off and check it out. You can see where the parts are coliding with the plate because you will see a wear spot on the underside of the plate.

I have my skid plate off right now while I'm replacing the trans pan gasket to a FelPro brand, so I will try and snap some pics and post them here to see if that helps.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
cgseanp

Thanks.. I took the skid plate off when I replaced the transmount, so I do for sure have the mount. I guess it's just in a different spot since I have a manual transmission. I didn't notice any wear on the inside of the skid plate from being hit by any moving parts. The torque arm seemed to be ok, but I didn't focus on it that much.
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Inspect your U joints. Could be that one of them is going bad and clunking your drive shaft when you start rolling.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^x2..it's your u-joints. Very common problem, very easy fix.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
cohutta20
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a similar rattle coming from the same area. I just got through troubleshooting it and found that the exhaust hanger at the back of the muffler is rattling. I have a 3in body lift installed and the hanger is modified. If I remember correctly, I got frustrated at not being able to get through the rusted bolts. Guess I'm going to search on here for a better repair job.....lol
cohutta20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
cgseanp

With regards to u-joint, Im looking around and it some of the rear cv driveshaft u joints list different lock up sizes. How do I know what I would need?
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
SeeWhy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cgseanp - Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have the same clunking. When backing up and after I let off the brakes it clunks. It really feels like it's right under my floorboard. I had a friend rock the steering wheel and couldn't find anything loose in the front-end. I haven't checked the back yet. I did find a really bad motor mount though:
img_20130302_173759.jpg  
Yakima rack with tire mount
SeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeWhy View Post
cgseanp - Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I have the same clunking. When backing up and after I let off the brakes it clunks. It really feels like it's right under my floorboard. I had a friend rock the steering wheel and couldn't find anything loose in the front-end. I haven't checked the back yet. I did find a really bad motor mount though:
Might be the torque arm bushings
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
kelzac23
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a tj and also have this problem? Would it be something different?
kelzac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unsure. Best bet is to get underneath and start pulling and pushing on things
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
SeeWhy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I figured out what mine was. I had a buddy put it in reverse and rock the truck with the brakes and the lower control arm bushings were jacked on the body side. I found a guy on CL selling a set for $40! They're homemade and they were made for the rear of a ZJ so they were 3/4 inch longer but they worked great! No more clunking. I think the previous owner had some RE lower arms before, but these new ones are beefy!!! The bottom one is the new one.
img_20130303_172139.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Smells like tj's in here! Glad you found that bushing. I often forget about parts like that because I don't have them
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
SeeWhy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

LOL, I just realized this was in the YJ forum. I did a search for clunking underneath and came across this one. All the YJ's are like..."what's a control arm"? hahahaha
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeWhy View Post
LOL, I just realized this was in the YJ forum. I did a search for clunking underneath and came across this one. All the YJ's are like..."what's a control arm"? hahahaha
Seriously........ What is it?

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.