Something's "clunking" under the jeep! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Something's "clunking" under the jeep!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
cgseanp

Something's "clunking" under the jeep! Update post 15

Morning!

For as long as I've had my jeep (only been 3 or so months now), I've had this clunking or banging noise under the jeep, usually happens when I back up and then stop, but I guess it also happens when I'm just driving and then slow down or stop. At first I thought it was normal, maybe do to having a lift or something (don't know a whole lot about Jeeps).. Anyways, to better describe what it does here's an example..

Backing out of driveway and when I use the brakes, something underneath moves and bangs up against the floorboard. I can't tell if its drivers or passengers side, but it's fairly loud. It's like something down there is suspended, but not bolted down, so as I take off or stop, it is swinging around. I'm sure somebody knows what this is! Help me out! thanks

cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Get under there and grab the rear of the transfer case and lift up and down see if it moves a good bit, but my bet is the trans mount.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Dragonwitch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

we had a clunking noise that turned out to be the rear sway bar wasn't attached to anything...bracket on the axel had broke
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
cgseanp

Thanks for quick replies.. so, if it is the Trans mount, is this an easy fix? Is it just that a bolt broke and needs to be reattached, or is something actually broke? Thanks!
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Just get under there. You will know more and we will be able to help you a little better.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
cgseanp

roger, well ill report back when i can get down there!
Unread 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the exhaust too
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
cgseanp

Havn't been able to check yet, but I do think there may be something lose with the exhaust as it rattles sometimes so Ill check that out also
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Same problem was happening to me for a long time, just got around to fixing it this week.

Like Jeeps4m and sdotCarter were saying, my issue was a mixture of worn trans mount and tcase insulator arm (aka isolator arm, pin, etc) and the cat was clinking against the skid plate.

The transmount is an easy fix. I bought a part from napa for $23 but you can buy it cheaper here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/56003_0024.htm

The insulator arm is a main culprit here because it is not always put back correctly when the skid plate is removed. I also replaced this "pin" and the bushings. The parts I used are here: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Je...2_95_Jeeps.htm

The cat issue smacking against the skid plate was fixed by installing a new exhaust found here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/exhaust...tor-35460.html
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine would do the same as the OP. It was the Transmission mounts. Funny enough, I just recently heard an exhaust rattle as well, looked around under there, and found one of my hangars had come out. The rubber bushing inside the rear hangar mount was bad. My local muffler shop had a bushing that worked and $10 later, they had it installed and hung properly.

Welcome to the wonderful world of YJs.. you'll soon learn how to listen, feel, and smell your way into vehicle diagnostics.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of YJs.. you'll soon learn how to listen, feel, and smell your way into vehicle diagnostics.
Amen to that.

When someone's riding with me and asks, "what's that noise/smell/etc" I can almost always come right back with an answer. Over time we become very intimate with our rigs. LOL

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
cgseanp

well I got under my jeep and apparently I don't even have the transmission mount. I could be wrong, but I was checking out the skid plate and there is only one bolt going through the plate (not counting the 6 holding it up) and i thinik it is the " torque arm stud" from looking at the FAQ section. So, no other bolts coming through would equal no transmount? or a broken one? I'm going to try to get to it this weekend if I can find a part local, otherwise Ill order it and do it when I can.
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I'd be easy on driving it too. Any parts store will have it.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of my skid plate. If your missing the two 'trans mount' bolts, that would be bad. When you look at the part, they are actually studs that protrude from the rubber. They could have been over torqued and maybe pulled out of the bottom. Oh well, easy enough fix.
skid_plate.jpg  
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
cgseanp

I went out and bought a new trans mount and installed it this weekend.. Unfortunately, I DID have a trans mount, but for some reason mine looks a little different then in the pictures. The two trans mount bolts don't stick out as far as in this picture, they are almost flush with the skid plate. The area of the skid plate that the bolts go through is like recessed a little, so that's why the bolts don't stick out past the skid plate. Anyways, like I said, I did have a mount already, but I still went and changed it since it looked old and was only a 20$ part. Problem not fixed though. It's hard to tell, but this morning I thought the banging noise came from passenger side in the back.. Maybe it is my exhaust moving around, but I pushed on it and couldn't really tell if it would move or not when I was driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.