Something's Bent - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Something's Bent

Hey guys so a few days ago I got into a bit of a crash.

The guy hit my front driver tire and now when I drive the Jeep it kind of pulls me to one side. If I hit a bump the Jeep really pulls and goes kind of out of control. Sometimes though if I'm going straight it doesn't pull at all and feels normal, but it just feels sort of random, unless it's a bump, then it feels pretty bad.

I was looking under the car to see if I could find any obvious bends, and the only thing I could really see is my Track Bar being slightly bent (but I think it's supposed to be kind of bent?), it also has a scratch going through it, which is why I think it could be that.

Other than that I don't see anything obvious. You guys have any ideas what it could be?

I'll leave a picture to show what I see and I'll take more if you guys need, but I don't think the pictures will help very much if can't even tell in person.

Also my power steering pump is leaking from the bottom, especially when the tires are turned all the way to the right, which is why my axle is all wet.
I think I had this from before but maybe it became worse?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 04:47 PM
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jack it up and see if there's slop in the assembly by pushing-pulling the tire at different points. The impact might have trashed your hub or a ball joint. I wouldn't think it would be a tie rod end, but I wouldn't rule out that possibility either.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much a full inspection, wheel bearing, ball joints, tie rod joints, might measure the C to be safe, track bar, bushings, steering box and mount. If it moves or is part of the steering it needs to be checked.
post #4 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Take a pic from way back and then zoom in to get the whole front axle. that eliminates the distortion from the wide angle lens.

Best to take it to an alignment shop for a check on their machine. Ive seen where the rear of one spring leaf and the hanger bent ever so slightly and caused the same random steering.
It depends on the direction and location of the hit as to where the greatest force and weakest link intersect.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/D35@3.07
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25@3.73
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #5 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, your track bar is scratched and must be removed. You'll thank me later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

^ beat me to it. Dang you're on lately Dirtkar.

Also, follow Dred's advice - if he hit your tire (from what i understood) alignment, ball joints, and hubs should be inspected - like soon, like now. DOn't let this go because its 'random' and sometimes 'its fine'. You're experiencing some bumpsteer, and that can turn into a real panic situation if you let it slide.

CHeck back with us and let us know what was found to be the culprit(s) (i think its going to be greater than one)

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #7 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 11:10 AM
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I did not see it mentioned yet but check your springs and shackles out as well.

Rusty's build thread - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-jermey-1806881/
post #8 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So basically it's pretty hard to find out without the help of a shop then? Makes sense.

Nothing seems too far out of whack just from view so I don't know how to check each part individually for a fault.

Here's what I could get of the front more zoomed out, I also added a picture of the driver side tire, since that's where I was hit:

post #9 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like the drivers side tie rod arm of the knuckle is twisted and the tapered stud is now tipping outward. Jack the front up to take weight off the wheels and have you biggest gorilla of a friend try to rip the wheels off while you wrap your hand around every joint feeling for loose movement.

I'd still put it on a machine after replacing any loose hardware.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #10 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Drednot.

Just be to sure, are you talking about this part:

post #11 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 09:15 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
Thanks Drednot.

Just be to sure, are you talking about this part:
Yes.
And while you're under there, let's get rid of these items as well, shall we?

Quote:

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
Yes.
And while you're under there, let's get rid of these items as well, shall we?
That's not going to fix his problem. Probably make it worse till its fixed.

Yes, That's what I was seeing.

Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"
post #13 of 29 Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So I took it to a shop.

Basically the mechanic told me that the gearbox needs a rebuild and that's why it feels like it's pulling, something in there is loose, and now more loose after the accident. He said that other than that he doesn't really see anything. I was suspecting more of the tie rod or something in the wheel being bent. He also said it probably needs an alignment.

Is what he is saying just? Is the gearbox making my jeep feel squirrelly?

For everything after taxes and whatever else, he's asking like $500 for a gearbox rebuild and some other misc things.
I know that sounds like a lot, but there's no way in hell I can do a gearbox rebuild.
post #14 of 29 Old 10-23-2015, 07:18 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
That's not going to fix his problem. Probably make it worse till its fixed.

Yes, That's what I was seeing.
He said its bent. And it's useless. And heavy. And it's ugly. Besides, how many SOA guys are running either or both of those items? Drag link angle is high to me and he's describing bump steer.

OP, did you get a chance to check your wheel for play in the 9-3 o'clock and the 12-6 positions?
$500 is a lot of money for an item to be rebuilt when new can be had for much less without being a huge mechanical challenge. What were the other items you were referencing that were also going to be addressed at that estimate?
As for it probably needing an alignment, it probably does. Also an easy fix that you can do yourself.
Here ya go, courtesy of MeanMax.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...gnment-994928/

Quote:

post #15 of 29 Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 PM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to find a different mechanic, that drivers side knuckle is bent/twisted where the tie rods attaches, it should be vertical..... At the very least you are looking at a new knuckle and tie rod end but I would bet one or both ball joints is shot as well as the wheel bearing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.