Something with the clutch - I think . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Something with the clutch - I think . . .

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Something with the clutch - I think . . .

I was headed up the road last night after taking off from a light. I made it about two blocks, everything seemed fine. Then I lost all power to the wheels (front only, rear drive-shaft is out right now). I gave it some more gas, rev's went up, and so did the spedo reading.

So, Im wondering what could have happened. I went back and checked this morning.

the 4x4 light was out on the dash, but Im wondering if this is because I took it out of 4x4 last night to try to get it rolling again, and putting it back in 4x4 the front vacuum disconnect hasn't engaged yet.

I pulled the vacuum lines off the axle disconnect, and there was no suction when I had the t-case in 4x4. There was however suction at the t-fitting that line goes to on the intake manifold.

My other thought was the clutch wont engage. I checked the reservoir, it is still full. There is no leaks on the master, lines, or slave.

With the transmission in neutral, and the t-case in 4x4, with the rear drive-shaft off, and front drive-shaft connected (but the 4x4 light out), the output yokes from the t-case spin about 1 revolution per 8 seconds. Something strange here, or is this normal if there is no torque load on the driveline?

95 Jeep YJ
2.5L
AX-5 from a late 90's TJ

thanks everyone

Cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure why your rear line is off/out, but I'd try in gear power to see if the front shaft is ok, if so, they I'd go back to your vac. system. It is also possible the TC poped into neutral... double check that. Sometime the simplist things are the culpret.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just have the rear shaft off to get a new one cut and balanced for the new SYE.

I put the tranny in any gear and the front shaft just spins (I believe because the front vacuum is not engaged.)

For the axle disconnect coupling to engage, does the jeep need to be moving, or should the axle-shaft rotate and couple up? and if the jeep needs to be rolling can I try pushing the jeep backwards? Will that be enough force to have it couple back up? I'd like to hopefully eliminate at least one piece of the puzzle and go from there.
Unread 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

bump?
10char
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I pulled the vacuum line connections off the disconnect again, and got no vacuum on either line in 2WD or 4WD.

So, I pulled another vac line, and plugged it up to the correct port to engage the front axle shaft, and I was able to move.

I'm not sure what controls/operates the vacuum going to that disconnect, any ideas?
My only thoughts are the plug in the t-case where the 4 lines go.
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the switch in the t-case went bad. it's a cheap an easy fix and the only thing i can think of.

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_nichols View Post
sounds like the switch in the t-case went bad. it's a cheap an easy fix and the only thing i can think of.
This.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Cyborg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered the part tonight. It was damn cheap. $11 my cost. Hoping it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.