Someone Tell Me Why I bought the RE 4.5 XD Lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Someone Tell Me Why I bought the RE 4.5 XD Lift

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

View Poll Results: Did Your Rubicon Express Springs Sag?
Yes. 19 38.78%
No. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #31
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Makes me glad I picked up some 5" BDS springs...

Got them used (only 3 months) for $300. Came with bushings as well.

atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #32
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

After installing my RE XD, I had 5.5" inches... now, a little more than a year later.. I'm about 4.75" Did they sag? Yes. Not to the point where they are below the advertised height. Ride is smoother now than when installed.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #33
obsessedjeeper
2013 WK 

where can you buy bds springs?
obsessedjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #34
Super D
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For the BDS springs go to bds-suspensions.com
Super D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #35
Bret93YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Man! I hate being in the minority! Especially after having to swallow the Democratic horse pill we were handed on Tuesday (God help us). Anyways, I'm going to stand up for my RE 4" STD. Got over 4.5" of lift and I'm still sitting right at 4.5" a year later. No problems here. I guess I fall into the 1 out of 7.
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #36
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone warranty thier springs when they start to sag?
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #37
notch4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90yjkrawler

how can you justify sagging when you are still over the advertised lift?

i mean it seems everyone is getting 1-2" more than advertised with BDS and RE ..it probally settled more in the rear than the front becasue they use the same kits for the 4 and 6 and the 4 takes more time to settle
00 Yamaha Kodiak on 27"s
notch4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #38
bigmike26
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i have had the RE 4.5 XD for a year and have wheeled it hard, including the badlands in Attica(way cool). i do not notice any sag at all and i love how it works on the trail. one more for RE
bigmike26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #39
Super D
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This is off rustysoffroad.com about their springs:

I've heard your springs sag, is this true?
Over 2 years ago the 4.5" and the 6.5" leaf packs had 5 leafs , plus I was using the same spring rate as the 3.5", They rode very good and flexed great. The problem arose when someone would add a bumper and tire carrier, roof rack, tool boxes and spare parts. They would add more parts than a 1/2 ton truck would hold up. The XJ is rated for less than a 1/4 ton, but they would put this gear and the springs would drop in height. Springs are rated by pounds needed to compress the spring. Our spring at that time where about 150 pounds , so for every 200 to 250 pounds in would come down an inch. Nothing wrong with that unless you are carring a big load, most of the customers loved them for the ride and flex and that is how I designed them.

Now Oct. of '02 we changed to a 6 leaf spring and have put the spring rate to just uder 200 lbs. Still the softest in the industry but will hold up the weight of tire carriers and gear. In the year of '04 I have not had to warranty a single leaf spring or coils spring.

As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech, Rubicon Express, Rubicon was having problems with their coil company and asked who we where using and are now using them.

The spring that we offer now is the best of both worlds. Some people that dont carry a load and want the softer ride will even pull the bottom 6th leaf out because they dont need the load capasity. The springs as well as all of Rusty's Off Road products carry a full Limited Lifetime warranty, which means that with a leaf spring; if it droops or breaks we replace, as long as it hasn't been in an accident or such.
Super D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #40
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch4u
how can you justify sagging when you are still over the advertised lift?
The problem arises when the springs don't sag evenly. Some guys have their right side settle so the Jeep is crooked. In my case my rear end is about 1 inch lower than the front. It looks stupid.

And for all you guys saying that RE is great, check out the poll. One out of three RE customers has experienced sagging. My guess is that the sagging is not evenly spaced amoung the four springs.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #41
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The poll is misleading, my springs did sag. So I should have put yes... but they sagged evenly and I'm still above advertised height. Some may have put "YES", but perhaps should have said no.

The poll should have been whether or not they sagged evenly and stayed above advertised height.

'94 YJ on 35s

Sept '14 YJOTM
July '13 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #42
spaz51

"The problem arises when the springs don't sag evenly. Some guys have their right side settle so the Jeep is crooked. In my case my rear end is about 1 inch lower than the front."

Is there any chance part of your height loss was caused by the spring perchs? The first set I bought was dropping my rear lower but I noticed it before they were welded and was able to trim them down some.
spaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #43
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz51
"The problem arises when the springs don't sag evenly. Some guys have their right side settle so the Jeep is crooked. In my case my rear end is about 1 inch lower than the front."

Is there any chance part of your height loss was caused by the spring perchs? The first set I bought was dropping my rear lower but I noticed it before they were welded and was able to trim them down some.
No. It started out great and then about 3 months later is looks low in the rear.

Maybe we should start a new poll to see if they sagged evenly.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #44
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90yjkrawler
BDS does....want verification...call http://www.applehill4x4.com/

...they are a BDS dealer.
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #45
spaz51

Sag was one of the things I was worried about also but so far so good. I'm running a 5.0 with a t18 tranny so I was afraid it might cause the front to sag. I've only had it running a few weeks but I did have it all bolted together with the weight on the springs fo about a year, it was a long project.
spaz51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.