Someone Tell Me Why I bought the RE 4.5 XD Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Someone Tell Me Why I bought the RE 4.5 XD Lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

View Poll Results: Did Your Rubicon Express Springs Sag?
Yes. 18 37.50%
No. 30 62.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Someone Tell Me Why I bought the RE 4.5 XD Lift

Stupid me. Earlier this year I researched and read everypost on this forum about which 4 inch lift springs are the best. The general consensus is that two lead the rest: Buy either BDS or RE 4.5 XD.

Everyone said that BDS are great and that the customer service was awesome...lifetime warranty on the springs.

Others said to get the Rubicon Express springs. I was warned that although they perform well, the only problems were that they sag and that the customer service sucks.

Guess what? After 4 months my rear springs are sagging. Now I have to get an add a leaf to raise it back up. It is at least 1/2 inch low...maybe a full inch.

To those of you searching for which springs to use I give you this word of warning: I was told that they would sag, and they did. Get something other than the Rubicon Express springs.

They ride well, but no way should they have started to sag that quickly and that badly.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
GiggityJeep

WOAH coo almost about to order my kit this week as the rebuild continues for the Jeep this winter.....Soooo i guess BDS is the one or anyone recommend somehting better....ride not a huge issue moslty a mud/trail rig when its done.... mild road use and lets face it there is no jeep that rides 'good' or 'smooth' they are allllllllll RUFF

I did haer this on one site tho...

'If you have a heavy Jeep (ie. Hard top with full size spare) you will want to run the front springs on both the front and rear.'

heavier spring may reduce the sag
GiggityJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I was one of those that told you to get the BDS, I told you so.... I had a 2.5" lift from BDS for 4 years with no noticable sag, I just went with their new 5" springs, I got 6.5" of lift. I have only seen .25" of setteling over the past 6 months. With the warranty and great customer service I have always got from them I will always buy their products. Sorry about your bad luck. That sucks.

Also an added bonus, the BDS 5" springs are not symetrical, buy turing them one way you get stock wheel base, but if you turn them the other way you get 2" of added wheel base.

And a pic because I am a pic whore.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
demoguru

i am almost ready to order an RE lift (like tomorrow) is BDS black diamond. I am new to the jeep thing. Just got a 90 wrangler and putting 33x12.50 15's on it. Please help
demoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Aggravator

Mine sagged to the right side before it left the driveway! Front spring hole to hole distances were a 3/4" difference. Not real happy, and no satisfaction from distributor I dealt with.
88 Wrangler, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme springs, custom shackle lift, 3" body lift; 4th 258 I6 bored .030 over with HEI ignition and RV cam, Weber carb, ported head/intake and headers; SYE and a Woody; Detroit locker rear 30-spline D35, Power-lok front D30, 4.10 gears and 36x12.50 Super Swamper TSL; custom axle u-bolt swap with nuts on top; raised all 4 lower shock mounts flush with tubes after destroying stock ones in Tellico; 4-wheel disc brakes; dual Optima yellowtops, Ramsey 8000 with dash remote, soon to be fully caged; Survived Tellico Rock Garden and Ledge with a Peugeot BA-10/5 tranny - but the Peugeot has now been swapped for an AX-15...I finally saw the light!
Aggravator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoguru
i am almost ready to order an RE lift (like tomorrow) is BDS black diamond. I am new to the jeep thing. Just got a 90 wrangler and putting 33x12.50 15's on it. Please help
Nope, BDS and Black diamond are different companies. I hear many good things about BDS. I asked a few days ago about Black diamond, and only one person replied saything they where good. I have not heard anything back about Black Diamond, but also haven't herd much about how they perform.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Williams YJ

i guess i fall under the i listened to paul category cause i went with the BDS as well
Williams YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

my bds rocks get it? rocks...jeeps...rockcrawlin...nevermind
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
OhioYJ

And to think I normally catch a lot of **** for bad mouthing RE.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #10
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

HMMMM... I have the RE 4" Std. lift and everytime I walk out to the garage I think it looks like my heep is sagging to the passenger side. I will take a closer look in the daylight!

(Must be from all that 4banger power torquing the leafs!)

I've only had mine on a short time... less than 2 months.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Midnight22
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i only got the 1.5in lift, most of my lift is gonna come from a SOA application, even if it did sag, it cant go down that far, just the more you tweek up with a regular application, the more chance it will fall, go less, and get a hardwired system of lift that cant decrease...
Midnight22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran a BDS 3" lift on my TJ and with all the armor my jeep still sat at 3" of lift...the owner of Apple Hill 4x4 run the BDS springs on his lifted YJ...if they do sag, BDS will warranty them and replace them....check his YJ out..http://www.applehill4x4.com/
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
ramburger

you guys are crazy, my rubicon express flexes sick and rides like a goat whore ........uuuuh. yea. 6 out of 7 lifts these days that are on the market are going to"sag" on the passenger side, but military wrap springs are the bomb. no problemos with mine Luck of the draw busters-------
ramburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
Austin_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ
And to think I normally catch a lot of **** for bad mouthing RE.
Yea, one post compared to eleventy.........
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara01
I ran a BDS 3" lift on my TJ and with all the armor my jeep still sat at 3" of lift...the owner of Apple Hill 4x4 run's the BDS springs on his lifted YJ...if they do sag, BDS will warranty them and replace them....check his YJ out..http://www.applehill4x4.com/
His is the one pictured when ya open the web page, if ya go to the photo album there a quite a few more pic's...some on a RTI ramp....
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.