Some questions about a failed smog test - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Some questions about a failed smog test

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes we

Unread 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
tkwok
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Some questions about a failed smog test

Recently, my YJ failed the NO portion (25mph) of the smog test. My measured reading was 804. The MAX. is 542. The cat. is only 3 years old and I put in a new NGK O2 sensor about 2-1/2 years ago. I took my jeep back to the muffler shop where the cat. was purchased and had them inspect it. Sure enough, the cat. had failed. They informed me that my jeep was running rich and that contributed to the failure of the cat. A new Walker cat. was installed and I put in a new set of Champion copper plugs. I took it back to get it re-tested. This time, it passed but it barely squeaked by. The new measured NO reading at 25MPH is 534. Everything else in the test results are within spec.

Can someone give me some explanations as to why I am getting such high reading even with a new cat.? Are there other factors involved here? I don't want to have other components that are contributing to the failure of this new cat. a few years later.

tkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Because its running rich. Check for codes before anything else. Also inspect your exhaust manifold for cracks and missing or loose bolts.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nox high is a lean burn. O2 failure is almost always going to cause it to run rich. If you are running lean the 2 biggest issues is a bad air density from the air temp sensor or low fuel pressure(Since you are at 25 it could be the vacuum line for the pressure regulator). Check the air temp sensor just with a meter and see what the resistance is. Fuel pressure is 31 psi idle, 39 with the vaccum line pulled, and then with the vacuum line reconnect shut it down and it should hold pressure above 20 psi for longer then 20 minutes.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.