Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Some kinda Vacume bypass to get kinda like front locker?

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  19renegade91 
#1 ·
I vaguely recall hearing about some trick or kit you can use that makes the front axle stay locked? Anyone know anything about this?

#2 ·
Why would you want to always keep it connected? I dont think there is a kit that always keeps it connected but there is the Posi-Lock that lets you conect and disconnect it with a cable instead of vacuum.

#5 ·
if you just want the axle to stay locked ......

Thats an easy fix......

Remove the fork cover and put the fork in the correct postion to lock the (2) axles togethere measure the space between the fork and the E clips on the rods..... No just remove the dashpot and place washer that measure the amount from the above measurement.....

Now you can put the unit back togethere and the front end will be locked .......

Basically you are shiming the movemnet to one side and making it permantly fixed.....

L8R,

#6 ·
This doesn't give you a locker, it just makes it so the front axle doesn't ever disconnect. A locker locks your spider gears, this gives you more traction. With the home brew axle lock, its like leaving locking front hubs engaged all the time. Causes more wear and decreases gas milage.

#11 ·
With the cost of everything you just mentioned, you can buy an Aussie locker for the front end and not have to take the time to replace ujoints. Have you ever changed a ujoint? I don't think you actually have considering you just blew it off. Lemme tell ya, it's not fun. I've done at least a hundred in the last seven years and every one has it's different challenges.

Go with the lunchbox or leave it open.

#12 ·
get yourself a ujoint or ball joint press with good shop air its a breeze. and i can balance the shaft myself...might not be perfect but it works in my 70 chevelle upto about 80mph. so all in all with lube gasket and 3 ujoints id be into it about $70 trust me i know its not the right way but im trying to build this jeep for under $1200 the more i can build instead of buy the better

#13 ·
As was mentioned to bypass the vacuum system you can pull the cover off, remove the C clip, move the collar toward the drivers side, and replace the clip.

#15 ·
just to clarify...my front driveshaft spins all the time anyway and also its like haveing manuakl locking hubs that are always locked even when im not in 4x4 but like an above post said, more gas milage and more wear and, trust me you cant push it very far,...exept this is how it is stock on mine...so i dont understand what this is all about...you need to weld spider gears to do what your talking about eh? ....how do i get rid of this acutated crap, and get manual locking hubs for my jeep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.