Solid axle conversion seal question...w/ pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid axle conversion seal question...w/ pics

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post

What shims?

Removing the carrier doesn't involve anything but removing the two bolts that go to each bearing cap, and then the bearing caps themselves.

The shims go between the bearing and the carrier... You remove your bearings when pulling the Carrier?
The shims that go between thr bearing races and housing.

idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
The shims that go between thr bearing races and housing.
Those shims are between the pressed on bearing and the carrier... Not between the races and the housing. Meaning, one would have to pry off the entire bearing in order to remove the shims. Carrier removal does not = bearing removal from carrier, just the races, which are easily stored next to their bearing cap/bolts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/da...stions-992061/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...placement.html

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...-bearing-shims

Quote:
Do not try to put the shims on the outside of the bearings on the Dana 30. You probably noticed the thickness and beefiness of the D35 Shims, but the D30 shims are far too fragile to be placed between the bearings and the housing. This would most likely cause inaccurate carrier preload as well as a host of other problems, if you are even able to get the carrier in the housing without destroying them. As well the D30 shims are designed to be stacked as the D35 shims are not.
The above reason is why when performing a regar or installing a full carrier locker on the D30, people often buy an extra set of bearings to use as "setup bearings"... They grind down the inside of the bearings so that they come off by hand when installing/removing shims during setup. Once the correct shims are achieved, the perminant bearings are pressed onto the carrier.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Those shims are between the pressed on bearing and the carrier... Not between the races and the housing. Meaning, one would have to pry off the entire bearing in order to remove the shims. Carrier removal does not = bearing removal from carrier, just the races, which are easily stored next to their bearing cap/bolts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/da...stions-992061/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...placement.html

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...-bearing-shims

The above reason is why when performing a regar or installing a full carrier locker on the D30, people often buy an extra set of bearings to use as "setup bearings"... They grind down the inside of the bearings so that they come off by hand when installing/removing shims during setup. Once the correct shims are achieved, the perminant bearings are pressed onto the carrier.
Well, that's just from my experience from my stock Dana 30. When I pulled out the carrier the shims were between the races and the housing.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Well, that's just from my experience from my stock Dana 30. When I pulled out the carrier the shims were between the races and the housing.
The carrier shims on a d30 go between the bearing and carrier from the factory. You bought your jeep off the show room floor back in 1991? No other owners? I don't know what to tell you... Who ever setup the axle was lazy or didn't know what they were doing.

Notice where the shims are located in this diagram? PART 3 >>SOURCE<<

We don't want people who are interested in a 1 piece swap to read this thread thinking that carrier shims are an issue. I understand you wanted to provide an alternate option to the seal at the differential, which is all well and good. But personal experience or not, we want to allow people to make an educated decision
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thane you to everybody on this post. I am attempting to start my solid shaft swap tonight. All info on here was very useful. Even the shim confusion was a funny read
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
Thane you to everybody on this post. I am attempting to start my solid shaft swap tonight. All info on here was very useful. Even the shim confusion was a funny read
Are you not intertained!!??

haha all levity aside, good luck with the swap, let us know if you have any questions/run into any issues.
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

All went well so far I got the shafts out and found the actual problem once I pulled it all apart. The fork on the cad system broke so that's why it would work but make a loud bang whenever I let out the clutch. Now that I have it all apart tonight I will get the new seals in and button it up and hopefully go to rausch this weekend.
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.