Solid axle conversion seal question...w/ pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solid axle conversion seal question...w/ pics

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
wrangler5191
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Solid axle conversion seal question...w/ pics

The first picture is of the passenger side of the pumpkin. The second picture is of the driver side of the pumpkin. I am doing the one piece axle swap (both passenger and driver sides) and have ordered the 11800 seals from NAPA. My understanding is that I have to install these seals on both sides of the pumpkin.

My question is that it appears that there is not a embossment in the axle on the passenger side to accept the seal but there is on the driver side.

Am I missing something here?

I have already removed the seal on the outboard side of the vaccum control module.

By the way...thanks to encouragement from you guys, I went down to the U-Pull in town and came away with some axles from an XJ for $25 each. You guys ROCK!

Sure beats $239 each on-line.

Mike

Last edited by wrangler5191; 01-26-2012 at 12:15 PM..
wrangler5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The napa seal 11800 will go on the passenger side of the pumpkin, there's no machined spot for it because the oil seal from factory was at the cad housing. The seal will fit in the housing perfectly. Just need to be careful when installing. As for the drivers side, the stock seal works.

Forgot to mention, your not missing anything on the passenger side, that's how mine was as well.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
wrangler5191
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got it!!!! Thank you!
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My understanding of it is, #11800 in the passenger side and #11899 on the driver side. those are napa part numbers.

I ended up getting Dana Spicer #46470 for the driver side, since my napa wanted $20 for it. I was advised to use (2) 11800 on the passenger side (together front to back), but havent done it yet, so not sure if they fit.
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis View Post
The napa seal 11800 will go on the passenger side of the pumpkin, there's no machined spot for it because the oil seal from factory was at the cad housing. The seal will fit in the housing perfectly. Just need to be careful when installing. As for the drivers side, the stock seal works.

Forgot to mention, your not missing anything on the passenger side, that's how mine was as well.
What he said. Works Great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
wrangler5191
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, just so I'm clear.

I'm swapping the drivers side too. So I could use the stock YJ seal with the TJ shaft on that side.
Unread 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler5191 View Post
Ok, just so I'm clear.

I'm swapping the drivers side too. So I could use the stock YJ seal with the TJ shaft on that side.
this is correct...the driver side TJ shaft is the same diameter as the YJ shaft, so the seal works just as it would with a YJ shaft in there.
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
wrangler5191
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Perfect!!!
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Don't bother running a seal at the disconnect housing like some people do. The shaft isn't machined for that and will wear right through it
Unread 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
wrangler5191
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got it! Pulled it out already and don't plan on replacing it.
Unread 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22
I was advised to use (2) 11800 on the passenger side (together front to back), but havent done it yet, so not sure if they fit.
I've never heard of using two? I figure, if one is going to go bad, than the other will as well but that's my thoughts.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowYJ View Post
Don't bother running a seal at the disconnect housing like some people do. The shaft isn't machined for that and will wear right through it
I know this is bringing a post back from the dead, but I put a seal on the CAD housing and ran my Jeep over 30k miles with absolutely zero leaks.

What I did was pull out the old seal, take it to a local seal shop with my new shaft and got the right seal for the machined part of the housing. And like I said, absolutely no wear nor tear on the seal. Although, I made sure to smooth down the shaft at where the seal seats.

I just forgot what seal I used.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You didn't use one next to the carrier on the passenger side along with the CAD?

IMO, I like having a seal right next to the carrier. On both sides. No sense in paying for fluid to sit in the axle tube.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
You didn't use one next to the carrier on the passenger side along with the CAD?

IMO, I like having a seal right next to the carrier. On both sides. No sense in paying for fluid to sit in the axle tube.
No need for two seals then. You'll just burn out the second one.

And I put it on the outside part of the CAD because there's already a recess for a seal, its easy to put in, and you don't have to take the carrier out and potentially lose, or mix up the shims. And for what? Some (an ounce or two) of oil getting in the shaft? Seems like a lot of work with little reward/benefit. Again, I've ran mine 30k miles, on and off road. No issues. And replacing that seal isn't difficult if I ever need to do it. I told myself if it wore/leaked often I'd put it at the pumpkin. But, I think 30k miles is a good run.

I'm doing it again because, ironically, I ****ed up my carrier. Instead of fixing it I'm just throwing a new axle in.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
And I put it on the outside part of the CAD because there's already a recess for a seal, its easy to put in, and you don't have to take the carrier out and potentially lose, or mix up the shims..
What shims?

The shims are between the carrier bearing and the carrier... Pulling the carrier doesn't effect the shims.

As for there not being a machined section next to the carrier, well, considering how many people throw in the nappa seal and don't have issues, I can't see why one wouldn't just do it the way so many on this site recommend.

Just because yours didn't leak doesnt mean the method is universal. I tried using one next to the CAD as a shortcut as well, and mine leaked. Replaced it, it leaked again.

Worked for you, didn't work for me. Installing next to the pumpkin however has worked for hundreds on this forum.

To each their own. But worring about effects on carrier shims is an invalid reason.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.