Solenoid vs starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Solenoid vs starter

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
ZJ1998

Solenoid vs starter

Search some and read up a little and I think my issue is one of the two. This morning went to start my YJ and it started fine, nice and strong like normal. Immediately stalled. Tried to start it again and it cranks hard but no start. Left it alone for a couple hrs. Came back and same strong crank but no start this time.

Went to jump it and nothing. Any suggestions of how to test this or do I just go and buy a starter?

My understanding is that a starter will help turn the motor over and a solenoid transfers the energy from battery/starter to motor right? So it sounds to me like starter may be good as it has a strong crank but solenoid may be bad. Thoughts?

Background: went wheeling yesterday. Very light, just exploring the wasatch mtns really so dirt roads and some rocks. Nothing big. Stopped and started multiple times yesterday and no issues. Came home and later that night sprayed off the underside as it was a dust ball in the mtns. Just wanted to get the dust off. Left it overnight. Morning time the issues started. It's also a little abnormally hot for utah

93 YJ I6, 5spd, Dana300, twin stick, 35's, D44 front and rear, 4:88 gear
98 ZJ I6, 2"BB, 31's, stock
ZJ1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your starter is an electric motor that turns the gas engine via a toothed flywheel. The solenoid is basically a high current relay or switch that connects the battery to the starter motor when you turn the key. Your problem sounds more like a corroded cable, battery terminal, or ground connection. Check and clean those first before spending any $$$.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you have it exactly backwards. The solenoid supplies electricity to the starter. The starter is then an electric motor that then turns the engine.

If it is cranking, then the whole starter, solenoid, battery cable thing is fine. Don't crank it for minutes at a time, or you will need a new starter.

So it is either fuel, air or spark that is missing. I can't help you anymore because I don't know what engine/year you have.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
ZJ1998

Ok so I checked battery cables and all...then tried to jump start by rolling down a hill. It tried but it just wouldn't fire. So I pulled a plug and put it to a grounded bolt in the engine bay and tried to turn it. No spark. So I'm thinking either distributor/rotor or the coil?

It's on my YJ which is 93. I6.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is a dead fuel pump. Particularly if ur not getting any codes.

Check for fuel pressure at the schraeder valve (sp?)

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
ZJ1998

I hear the fuel pump turn on though with the key. Not sure if that means anything. I'm sure it is possible it can turn on and not pump anything. I removed the coil pack and was going to pick up one tomorrow to see if that helps. If not I can return it I guess and move on to the fuel pump.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you hear the fuel pump its probably working fine. Have you checked to see if you're getting power to the coil? Have you also checked for codes?
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ1998
I hear the fuel pump turn on though with the key. Not sure if that means anything. I'm sure it is possible it can turn on and not pump anything. I removed the coil pack and was going to pick up one tomorrow to see if that helps. If not I can return it I guess and move on to the fuel pump.
Like michael said, if u hear its, its probably good to go. It doesnt hurt to check for fuel pressure tho. Literally take 5 seconds.

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14148985]If they're gonna bend you over for that much, I'd definitely pay extra for the lube!![/QUOTE]

Jeep Build thread:

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/94-yj-build-thread-1234264/[/url]
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

check your fuses... probably not the fuse panel inside (but couldn't hurt to look)
I'm thinking the big fuses in the PDC under the hood... check the one labeled "ignition" since you have no spark. but since you're there, check the rest too

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
ZJ1998

Didn't update you all...it ended up being the coil pack. I believe that's what it's called. Plugs into the distributor cap.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The ignition coil. A coil pack is on cars with multiple coils that are on a board away from the plugs or actually mounted on the spark plug. Good job though, you found the trouble and fixed it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.