softtop storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > softtop storage

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

softtop storage

I have an 87 with a besttop super top. When my soft top is down it is a major PITA. The bars bounce and bang over every bump and the only thing I can do with the top is fold it up best I can and stuff it behind the rear seat. Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas on what you do? I can't just take it completely off cause usually I am driving with the family and need it in case nights get chilly or it rains.

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Super Top isn't really designed to be folded back and remain on the vehicle. It's more of a complete removal type top. Now, with that said, I know a guy who takes fleece material and a couple straps and rolls his windows into a sleeping bag type roll which fits behind his back seat. He has three pieces of fleece. Lays out one, puts a window on it. Lays out the second, puts window #2 on it. Lays out the third and puts his back window on it, then rolls all three up together and cinches them with two cloth straps.

As for the top itself, can't help you there. I take mine off completely and store it in the garage.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

will something like this work
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91008_17.htm
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't see why it wouldn't.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have the bestop, folds back just fine. Are you missing the tensioner straps? They are affixed to the rear bows and fit into the track on the side. They hold the top very tight while down. It should also have a metal shelf for the top to sit in. It doubles as a nice secure place to lock things up using the tailgate.

With practice, it should only take 5 mins or so to put up or take down the top. You will learn some shortcuts that make it really easy.
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine use to have straps to hold it down in the back. I ran with the top folded down all the time.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think these are replacement straps. Mine are still the Chrysler ones, and are permanently attached to the front bow. They fit into the side rails.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11101_9015.htm
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
No_Ids
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, you need those straps.

Personally I would not use the "boot spice".
I think it would be more trouble getting it to fit into that.

Just let it fold up as you move it back.
I roll up the rear window (with the hanging straps) BEFORE folding it back.
The side windows will fold up easier if you unzip the rear zipper.

Yes, it's always a PITA.
In the summer. it's bikini top time.
( I don't mind getting a bit wet in the rain )
100_0597_8x6.jpg  
No_Ids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thanks guys!
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
CyndiB
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Go to the Besttop website, they have a video that shows you how to put it down without taking it off. I believe that they do take out the windows first.
[COLOR="White"][/COLOR]White Jeep Club Member #169
CyndiB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.