Softtop Hardware (Full Steel Doors) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softtop Hardware (Full Steel Doors)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Softtop Hardware (Full Steel Doors)

I bought my YJ over a year ago with a hard top and full steel doors. I sold the hardtop since it was in pretty bad shape, and have been using just a bikini top since then. I know very little about softtops and their associated hardware. If I understand correctly, there were very few YJ's from the factory that came with full steel doors and softtops. I've been able to find most of the OEM hardware pretty cheap. Now, are there any replacement tops for a YJ with full steel doors to utilize the original hardware? I've looked at the pavement ends tops, and I like the $299 price tag. However, it looks like they only have them for YJ's with half doors. I could forget the hardware and go with a bowless top, but I was hoping to not drop over $400 into it. Comments? Recommendations?

89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would recommend craigslist.
sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Full steel doors will work with the Besttop replacement top, but you may get some leaking around the upper rear corners. It will seal ok, but not perfectly. Go to Quadratech and use their top selector and pick the type of hardware you have. OEM soft top hardware differs from the Bestop hardware, and the top you pick needs to match. There are several selections available based upon your hardware selection.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

factory soft top hardware will not work with full doors, soft tops came with half doors and soft uppers, which had square corners, yours of course are rounded

super top hardware looks like it will work, but in fact doesn't, the radius of the curve is different. you'll either have to get ahold of 1/2 doors, or do the TJ soft top mod (TJ do work)
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredve...ras/index.html
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
89WhyJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
factory soft top hardware will not work with full doors, soft tops came with half doors and soft uppers, which had square corners, yours of course are rounded
Now I'm confused. What about this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_9406_07.htm

Granted, the link above is only for the front bows...but it seems like there is an option for full doors and a soft top. I've just never seen a top for a YJ and full doors.
89WhyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I've got a bestop supertop, it works just fine with full steel doors.
Actually, I just sold my hard top, got tired of storing it during the summer, and only have the supertop. It takes a little wile to warm up in the winter, but once warm, it's just fine. Also, it seals up well enough to keep even a heavy rain out, and with the windows removed, it makes a decent safari top.
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a Bestop Sunrider and it works absolutely fine with my full doors.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

I got full doors with the hard/soft top combo so I ordered the bikini BC I preferred that , how well did your bikini top seal with the full doors?
MDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

none of our bikini tops ever worked with full doors. my 87 or my wife's 93. they both have gaps of about an inch across the top of the door
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
MDWG
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well this should be fun in these upcoming summer months

Edit: though this IS a good excuse to get some half doors lol
MDWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
easyxbox
1993 YJ Wrangler 

try jeepsareus.com idk where these people hide at but the did make the jeep hardware for both jeep doors my best answer would be to google it or ebay it you'll find somethin
easyxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

supertop, or sunrider top both work well with full doors. OME tops will work but you will have a large space in the corners of the door.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
supertop, or sunrider top both work well with full doors. OME tops will work but you will have a large space in the corners of the door.
X2

Supertop and Sunrider have an option for to purchase for Jeeps with Full Steel Doors

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.