Softopper vs. Rampage vs. ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softopper vs. Rampage vs. ???

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Softopper vs. Rampage vs. ???

OK, I know this has been covered in pieces on other posts, but I can't quite find the definitive answer to my question.

I have a 95 YJ with the Factory Style Bestop Replace-A-Top (atleast I'm 99% sure that's the one, I got it for free from another Jeeper when my OEM top got sliced up). And I've got some brand of window sliders, the ones with the squared upper corners, not the rounded ones that appear to be quite available.

I REALLY like the Softopper top. But it doesn't appear to fit my door style.

Image borrowed for example purposes...

I found the Rampage top, and it appears to fit my door style, but I'm not digging the exterior straps to keep the top tight.

Image borrowed for example purposes...

Who can chime in here on these tops, on a YJ with a Full Factory Rollbar.
Fitment issues?
Quality?
Pricing?
Customer Service?
Options for converting my door style without tracking down full doors?

THANKS

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found this Rampage top that has our squre edge doors for pretty cheap, it also doesn't have the funky straps. I've heard good stuff about this brand though i've always bought Bestop
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-YJ-1988...item19d8d02b12
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Based on the options he posted he's not looking for a factory replacement style that requires a frame.

For the doors, you could adapt TJ soft uppers to the 1/2 doors, or find a set of soft uppers from a Supertop as they also had round uppers.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's a besttop nx top that'd frameless too thats gotten good reveiws

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
... For the doors, you could adapt TJ soft uppers to the 1/2 doors, or find a set of soft uppers from a Supertop as they also had round uppers.
I've read a bit about the modified TJ uppers. From what I understand, you just have to modify the 3rd peg on each upper frame & it should be a direct fit everywhere else, right???

I really like my sliders over the idea of zippered windows (no flames here, just my opinion). I wonder what other Slider options could be modified to fit...
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
There's a besttop nx top that'd frameless too thats gotten good reveiws
Looks like that one only goes back to a TJ
Unread 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have no experience with the Softtopper but I think the material on it is a bit heavier. On the flip side, I liked the larger window and in top storage area with the rampage (this is the reason for the outside straps). I am not saying my Rampage is better than Softtopper but here is the answers to your questions;

Fitment issues?
I haven't a wrinkle in my top and the roof pools water less than my factory tops have.
Quality?
Rampage is made and stitched equal to that of Bestop and Smittybilt. I have owned replacements from both.
Pricing?
Big stores will price you up to $600. I shopped around and got mine for $470
Customer Service?
There is a whole tread on the rampage top and one of there customer service reps is a vendor and seems more than willing to help resolve any issues.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFW1 View Post

Looks like that one only goes back to a TJ
My bad, I thought the yj had the frameless option. I went back and tdij used the tj frameless anxious top on his yj with a little mod

My Build Thread
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
My bad, I thought the yj had the frameless option. I went back and tdij used the tj frameless anxious top on his yj with a little mod
I can work with mods, if they save money.
'cause I be a broke Jeeper... LOL
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love my softopper no complaints here...I use tj uppers with instead of hard doors.

image-2988121671.jpg

The softopper is far superior to the old bestop top that I had. The material is thicker, the design is better, the zippers work better. I have nothing bad to say about it...
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
I love my softopper no complaints here...I use tj uppers with instead of hard doors.

The softopper is far superior to the old bestop top that I had. The material is thicker, the design is better, the zippers work better. I have nothing bad to say about it...
The only thing I dislike about the softtopper is the spice/tan color match. Its waaay too light. No one makes a dang spice top.

My Build Thread
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
JimmyFW1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post

Attachment 583242

I actually saw your pic on Google last night when I searched for "Spice Softopper"

And I'm glad to hear of the quality of the Softopper. It seems like it is a superior US made product. I want one really bad, but the non-matching upper door type puts me over budget when I have to locate either TJ uppers to replace my YJ slider windows...

But Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your opinion
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got the rampage and like it, so far. I wanted to get a tan top but I did not want the extra hassle of modifying the TJ stype rounded doors. My top is not on all that much anyway.

The only issue I have is the extra cross bar welded on the back of the cage keeps the bottom of the rear window from hooking all the way down. Not the fault of the top but if you have a cage modification keep it in mind,

This bar.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFW1

I actually saw your pic on Google last night when I searched for "Spice Softopper"

And I'm glad to hear of the quality of the Softopper. It seems like it is a superior US made product. I want one really bad, but the non-matching upper door type puts me over budget when I have to locate either TJ uppers to replace my YJ slider windows...

But Thanks for the info, I really appreciate your opinion
It's not noticeable once they've both sat in the sun for awhile. I took that pic the first day or two I put the new uppers on. Ill take a pic once I get my rear axle back under the jeep. All the other pics I have r in snow for the most part n u can't really see it.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
This bar.

Took me a second to figure out which bar you were talking about.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.