Softopper Soft Top Review - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Softopper Soft Top Review

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
badblud
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. If you get a chance and could take some pictures of where it connects so I could see exactly that would be greatly appreciated.

badblud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
jmmorgan82

2 self tappers in the roll bar as shown in this pic:

And the bottom attaches as shown in these:

jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love my softopper

I need to find some full doors. I've been using Bestop Supertop uppers and I'm not satisfied with the fitment and the noise on the highway.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Raggedyman

Did your windshield header come as a 2 piece or 1 piece? Mine is a 2 piece and the only complaint I have is that it leaks between the two pieces. They're as close together as they can be but I still get water through the gap during a moderate to heavy shower. After this winter I was planning on trying a weather seal of some kind when I put it back on this spring. Other than that I love it. Nice write up too!
Raggedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bestop sells 2 piece soft doors for YJ's, do they not fit well with this top?

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine came with a 2 piece header but I didn't use it. I had a header from the factory soft top already installed so I used that. Might try some RTV or something to seal it up.

I do have a problem with water leaking at the top corners of the windshield where the door surrounds stop. It might just be the uppers I'm using but I can see out of the corners there and water leaks in pretty easily. Anyone else with this problem?

ProvinT13, the Bestop doors don't work. The rear corner of the top of the door is a different shape and doesn't seal. The door sticks out too far to the back.
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I like this top alot. to bad i purchased a supertop last year not reall happy with it, i will be looking into this top next time. Thanks for sharing.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #23
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking at these as well. I have full doors but really like using the half door in the nice weather. I was looking at these Smittybilt uppers which look like they should work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMT-89415

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/87.htm
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #24
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it work with the factory roll bar padding?

Does it seal at the doors? It looks loose in the pics, but it could just be the pics.

I have a cargo rack on mine that bolts through the side of the tub. That makes putting the side curtains on my Supertop on difficult because of a lack of clearance between the retaining strip and the rack's support brackets. How far out does the side curtain retainer stick?

I like this setup. I would think that Supertop two piece soft doors would work, since my soft doors work on a hard top or on my Supertop. Thanks for the write up. I may look into this later on this year.
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It seals well. The seals on the door are the finest thing 1987 had to offer and they need to be replaced. As far as uppers go, I haven't tried any of the soft uppers except the factory ones. They will not work for sure since they have the squared edge as opposed to the rounded factory hard door style. I still love it.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
NormW
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am new to this and would like some direction. I have 95 with hardtop. full doors.
was looking for a frame and soft top and would like one that folds back to spare tire
but unable to locate one. Does anyone make a complete folding top for a YJ. If not
then thing softtopper might be way to go. thanks
NormW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
jmmorgan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifone View Post
I love my softopper

I need to find some full doors. I've been using Bestop Supertop uppers and I'm not satisfied with the fitment and the noise on the highway.
Any chance you've got any pictures of the fitment? The doors I have right now absolutely do not fit and I don't wanna drop the coin on a set of full hard doors. Thanks!

As you can see, these Kayline doors are nowhere near lining up with the surrounds:

Unread 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

These are the best I have at the moment. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll snap some better pics.

Unread 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #29
jmmorgan82

Those are exactly what I was looking for. How bad do they flap in the wind?
Unread 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #30
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's pretty bad on the highway. I tie my zipper strings around my grab handles to keep them pulled in. There is too much pressure on the back of the uppers so it pushes them out and makes it so I have to slam my door. Not really ideal.

Tags
frameless soft top , install , review , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.