Soft Upper doors with Hardtop on YJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Upper doors with Hardtop on YJ

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
KBoltz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I do not have access to a welder - I sold off my welder when I had to relocate 3000 miles North from Texas to BC Canada.

The Bestop uppers I have are the 51780's - after I spoke to Adam at 4wheel parts - he told me that you are right, the TJ uppers can be modified to fit, but with no welder I am kinda ***** out of luck. And these uppers will not fit. I have to ship these back, again I am without the Jeep - and here in beautiful BC, it rains like a mofo most of the year.

And what about the bottom, do you remove the channel from the YJ doors?

KBoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Kane04
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Kboltz, I'm still in the process of returning my square yj uppers. I'm going to order a set of the TJ uppers. I do have access to a welder but I'll see how the doors work with just two pins and let you know if its a reasonable option to just use two pins. Once again thanks to all for the help.
Kane04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoltz View Post
I do not have access to a welder - I sold off my welder when I had to relocate 3000 miles North from Texas to BC Canada.

The Bestop uppers I have are the 51780's - after I spoke to Adam at 4wheel parts - he told me that you are right, the TJ uppers can be modified to fit, but with no welder I am kinda ***** out of luck. And these uppers will not fit. I have to ship these back, again I am without the Jeep - and here in beautiful BC, it rains like a mofo most of the year.

And what about the bottom, do you remove the channel from the YJ doors?
yeah you have to remove the channel of the door. if you dont have a welder just cut the last pin off and use the 2 1st pins. they will fit no problem until you get hold of a welder to weld rear pin back on. i did that until i got a welder
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
95tealxj

There are certain ones that work the pointy ones will leak though
95tealxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
KBoltz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Kane - that should work,

They are on and fit like a glove. The new skins shipped today from Amazon (and after being screwed twice, I opted for Super Saver free shipping) and should be here sometime late next week, more likely I will be able to pick them up from my ship to address the week after. I'll shoot some pics then and post them.

I am glad I got this all done - got my transfer orders today - don't know when next year we will be relocated, but it is up in the Rockies and I expect alot more snow than I experience here in Vancouver, Canada.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
Kane04
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, sorry I forgot to post on how it went. I wouldn't say my tj uppers fit like a glove but after cutting off the rear pin and trimming some of the weather stripping they're more than good enough. The doors close and the inside is dry and warm. The doors did their job in the 8 in of snow we got here for halloween so I'm happy with it. It was a bit unnerving taking a hack saw to a brand new part but it turned out ok. good luck to eveyone.
Kane04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #22
allen456
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I recently did the same mod with smittybuilt tj uppers. I had to modify the upper frame also to get a better fit and it worked out well. Pain in the a$*, but it worked out. Three days later I found a killer deal on full doors, go figure. Needless to say, i have a basically brand new set of spice uppers already moded that i dont need anymore. If anyone needs a set, shoot me a pm and we can see if we can work out a deal.
Unread 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
jacobmc

I just wasted 200 on smittybuilt Tj uppers and I just can't see how anybody could get these things t
o work
jacobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
KBoltz
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmc View Post
I just wasted 200 on smittybuilt Tj uppers and I just can't see how anybody could get these things to work
Cut the rear pin off right at the frame. You may have to "TRIM" the other two pins in length. Once the frame starts to fit, mark where the third pin goes in relation to the frame, mark and weld up.

It takes some bending and wiggling to get it to work right the first time.

I've had mine off a time or two since then, and they fit right back on. I got some frames from a local guy for 40 bucks and new Rampage skins, so all told I was out about 250.

Do your skins come off the frames? I had old original skins on the frames and just cut them enough to do the cutting and welding (well, a friend did the welding) to get them to fit.
Unread 12-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #25
strhodes
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i had this problem too. at first i tried bending the pins to get the angle i needed. after struggleing to fit them back in the door i decided on another aproach. i quit trying to modify the windows and direct my attention the the top itself. so i got some weather stripping and put that between the body of the jeep and the top. it elevated the topp just enough to get the angle i needed and now the windows fit perfect! no welding required! plus it creates a water tight seal all the way around. still had to cut the 3rd pin tho of course.
Unread 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
lucas07770
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok i just got soft uppers, not sure on brand, but they dont even line up with the wholes in the stock hard doors. I think i will be trying the TJ nod its really bugging me cuz i got a good deal on the top. so the uppers dont fit but i got a good deal on the uppers with soft lowers. they fit the soft lowers just not the stock hard doors. can anyone answer this?
lucas07770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1993 , hard top , modifications , soft doors

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.