Soft Tops. Which ones to buy and avoid. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Tops. Which ones to buy and avoid.

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Soft Tops. Which ones to buy and avoid.

I'm looking at several different manufacturers of Soft Tops for my '90 YJ. Bestop seems to be the most popular, but what about Rampage, Smittybuilt, or Quadratop? Are there any to avoid? Which are US made and which are chinese junk? I'm looking to just replace just the top as my frame is mostly OK. I need to replace the spreader bars, the rest is fine. I don't want to end up with a flappy, rips in a year, can't make out a thing through the wavy windows, P.O.S. that is a waste of money, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. What i want to know is:
1: If you purchased a new top, which one and why?
2: Would you buy the same top again? Why?
3: If your new top failed, what failed on it? Tears? Leaks? Too darn noisy?

JMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I always run bestop soft tops and seat covers. They last for years and they also supply jeep with all of their oem tops.
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out softopper. Bowless top, similar to the rampage ones.

http://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-to...ep-wrangler-yj

I picked one up a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Looks good, nice and durable. Colorado based company.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42
Check out softopper. Bowless top, similar to the rampage ones. http://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-to...ep-wrangler-yj I picked one up a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Looks good, nice and durable. Colorado based company.
He's got a 90 so unless he has a family bar swapped it they won't work
Unread 06-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nope. Sport bar. No family bar.
Unread 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I typically run a Bikini top, but I'm got a Pavement Ends soft top as well, for a few winter months. It's fits and works fine. I was surprised that it is as good as it is.
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just got a Bestop Sunrider and really like the "sunroof" option... easy to open and latch down.

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
He's got a 90 so unless he has a family bar swapped it they won't work
Always forget about that sport bar... thanks for pointing that out
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
theoncelers
2002 WJ 

Best top super top on an 89 yj with half doors from 4wgeel parts less than $500 delivered with tinted windows all hard wear and half door frames and skins and windshield channel... Y? ... Price, then function , and correctness to the jeep... A salesman was big help .... Roll bar and correct door shape where critical and then I had to still make a door channel or surround for windshield to get doors to seal well . Another helpful tool is the top adviser that quadratec had. Help answer a lot of questions . Good luck
image-803332231.jpg

Unread 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thought I'd add a pic or two just for comparison.
image-3207897895.jpg

image-1131004831.jpg

KCCO
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's my super top with the 2 piece soft doors
image-1238542458.jpg

Unread 06-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #12
JonCorwin968
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you plan on using your old hardware make sure you get a top that will fit it. Some tops will fit your jeep using different hardware.
JonCorwin968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
JMickey
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. My hardware is good except for the spreader bars, which i have ordered replacements. I do like the Sunrider for being able to just open the top above the driver area without having to drop the whole top. It'll help keep the dog in the back seat. But unfortunately it's going to be out of my budget for now unless i can find a really sweet deal. So for now i' looking to get a replacement for the factory fabric. I didn't want to get something that wasn't going to hold up to being put up and down repeatedly, or would fail in the winter with the snow. Here's some pictures of my Jeep.

You can see where the top has a hole above the door opening and where it is torn at the rear corner of the tub. I like the color of the top but sadly, no one is making it in that color anymore. So its either Black Denim or Spice.

Unread 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMickey
Thanks for all the replies. My hardware is good except for the spreader bars, which i have ordered replacements. I do like the Sunrider for being able to just open the top above the driver area without having to drop the whole top. It'll help keep the dog in the back seat. But unfortunately it's going to be out of my budget for now unless i can find a really sweet deal. So for now i' looking to get a replacement for the factory fabric. I didn't want to get something that wasn't going to hold up to being put up and down repeatedly, or would fail in the winter with the snow. Here's some pictures of my Jeep. You can see where the top has a hole above the door opening and where it is torn at the rear corner of the tub. I like the color of the top but sadly, no one is making it in that color anymore. So its either Black Denim or Spice.
Why not just go Quadratop then if you're reusing your hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum... So excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
earl1775
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The sunrider top is the closest thing to the TJ lock down that I have found for a YJ. I had a TJ first and had to get rid of it due to kids. Now, I have a YJ and a replace-a-top. I had to go for economy first. I am looking at the sunrider since that is what I got for my TJ and loved it.

Last edited by earl1775; 06-28-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Didn't post where I thought it would so had to add more detail.
earl1775 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.