Soft top and roll bar pad questions, never owned one. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top and roll bar pad questions, never owned one.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Soft top and roll bar pad questions, never owned one.

I've been doing a lot of looking around for info on soft-tops and there are just soooo many variations I guess I am confused on what I really want. I never had one for my jeep, I always just took the hard top off during summer and drove my other car when it rained. Well I sold that so now I need something for more everyday.

I kinda liked the ones that cover just the front seats ( i removed my back seats so no need) and then go straight down and then cover the rear section or the ones that cover the front then slant down towards the rear. I have a 90 so I have the diagnal roll bars. I dont really like the look of the full covers because I dont want to have to deal with all the bars and hardware. I am not sure if I want to use my full hard doors and just take them off when I take off the top or get buy my buddies half doors and just find half soft tops for them.

I will only be using this when it rains as I like the top off most of the summer. Any thoughts, suggestions? btw I saw the one that kinda describes what im looking for at quadratec but it was like 600-700 bucks which is insane...

Also I need roll bar pads and I cants seem to find ones that cover the bar that goes over each door. Where can I get these. I only find the rear 3 piece covers.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Unread 02-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Pedro_Slick
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the top yoyu are talking about would be a bikina top with a windjammer
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
xjcrwlr
2002 WJ 

Actually, I think he may be talking about a Half-Top. It's completely sealed. Otherwise you can run the Bikini, Windjammer, and Duster combo.
xjcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
73Dart
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcrwlr View Post
Actually, I think he may be talking about a Half-Top. It's completely sealed. Otherwise you can run the Bikini, Windjammer, and Duster combo.
This is the combo that I am running right now until it decides to warm up again. This combo does not seal, and you will get wet if it rains. I had 2 inches of snow in the pass seat after it sat this weekend. If you need to be completly sealed from the elements, this is not the combo that you will want.

My motor swap thread
73Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

which top would be better? Cheaper? It doesnt have to be completely sealed just enough where I don't get soaked.

Dave

still curious for an answer on the roll pads
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
xjcrwlr
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexinator02 View Post
which top would be better? Cheaper? It doesnt have to be completely sealed just enough where I don't get soaked.

Dave

still curious for an answer on the roll pads
As far as the pads go, you should check out quadratec or websites similar to it. And as far as the cheaper top(s), your best bet is to piece together a Bikini, Wind Jammer, and Duster combo. You may not be able to buy all three at once, but you can usually find a Bikini on craigslist for $20+. Well, in my area anyway.

Last edited by xjcrwlr; 02-01-2010 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: grammar haha
xjcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, cheapest is the combo, but not weather proof. You can get it for about $200 all new.

Other then that, it gets expensive fast.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
icehead14
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Im rocking the half top right now. I traded for my Hard top and some cash. I love it. It leaks a little but I dont get wet while driving so I really don't care. Quadratec has them on sale right now for like 550. I would go with that if you could get the money, but as few have already said its much cheaper to go with the combo. If you decide to go with the half top you need the full doors for it to fit properly. You can also roll just the top portion back like the supertop but it doesn't sound like you will use that much lol.
icehead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
lexinator02
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like I may go with the combo, thanks guys!

As far as the pads, I only can find the rear 3 pieces, not the driver and passenger one that connects to the windshield.

Dave
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

I run the combo from late spring until late fall. (Vancouver Canada, it rains a lot.) I picked my combo up on eBay for about $200 with shipping (Cross border shipping is expensive.) If it looks like rain I toss a garbage bag on the drivers seat. I hate wet ***.

The only real draw back is that water does seem to pool on the roof.
Someone makes a "bow" for keeping the roof tight, and it would prevent pooling. I just don't remember where to get one.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobster View Post
Someone makes a "bow" for keeping the roof tight, and it would prevent pooling. I just don't remember where to get one.
Checkout the cheap mods section here on Jeepforum. Someone did a write up on how to make them with PVC pipe. The look good, work well and are cheap.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As far as the pads, I only can find the rear 3 pieces, not the driver and passenger one that connects to the windshield.
when i ordered mine from bestop they came with the pads for the bars connecting to the winshield Bestop 80008-15 - Bestop Sport Bar Covers in Black Denim for 87-91 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
RockHavok
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the half top with the rear cover. Came on the donor jeep I bought for my 4 to 6 conversion, and I love it. May just sell my hard top.
RockHavok is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.