Soft Top recommendation for 1993 YJ Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Top recommendation for 1993 YJ Sahara

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Soft Top recommendation for 1993 YJ Sahara

Hi all,

Having never owned a jeep with a soft top I'm looking for recommendations.

My recent purchase has been a 1993 Hunter Green Sahara YJ with Full Hard Doors and Spice Hard Top

Looking to go soft in the next couple of months and very interested in thoughts and recommendations.

Based on what I have read there are two schools of thoughts:

Bowless and installing Bows

I've seen something form Softopper that looked quite nice which is Bowless but would like to hear from others.

Is the new Bestop Supertop NX worth a look? I think that uses Bows

Any and all thoughts would be welcome

-Chris

weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought a Bestop and the material is very nice. Im using a frame (bow) system, which is what I had from before. Keep in mind that if you dont have the frame hardware, you'll have to buy a soft top kit that comes with it (or youll have to buy it separately). This will add a significant amount to the cost of your soft top.

I dont have any experience with bowless systems, but they look good. Soft topper makes a kit for your jeep, they dont for mine, which is why I didnt go with it. Otherwise, I would have, simply for price.
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you decide to go with Bestop (I like their products) PM GeoffatBestop, who's a member here & works for Bestop. He'll be able to inform you of all the options Bestop offers & hopefully point you toward getting a good deal.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention....if you are interested in a Viking product, http://winchline.com/soft-tops.html contact my friend Jon @ Winchline.com (or his brother Thor) & tell him I sent you his way. Viking is currently working on some new YJ products.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think anyone makes a frame-less soft top for a YJ. But if that Viking would fit my YJ, I'd have one. I'd love to carry the windows inside the soft top like that.
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love my Softopper. Just need to get my door situation figured out. It's meant to work with full hard doors and I don't have those. I need to get my hands on some TJ uppers and mod them to fit. I think it's worth looking into. It's really nice to be able to unzip my rear windows, store them overhead, roll up the back window and continue on my way with a safari top. Or on the other hand, when it rains I can button it up quickly and easily.
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a BestTop Supertop. Love it, Its alot easier than the factory top, and seems to be holding up well. I have nothing to say about Viking as I have never seen one in person.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can't beat bestop. I just got a supertop and it was very easy to install and seals very nice even with soft upper doors. I'm not very familiar with bowless tops but they seem like they might not keep their shape after a few years of stretching. Also I'm not a fan of how they look but many people seem to like them. Its all preference I guess.
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everybody for the info.

I'm going to make three inquiries on Monday.

One to Softopper

One to the fellow who comes on the board from Bestop as the Supertop NX does look nice. Just wish they made a Trek NX for the YJ.

Last but not least to Viking/Rampage as a possible alternative to Softopper.

Anybody out there have a good review on Softopper or the Bestop Supertop NX?
weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
sterobe
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sterobe

my first post so if i dont do it right just tell me. thanks

my problem is i have a 1987 jeep wrangler that had a hard top i installed 4 years ago. the jeep actually came with a factory soft top with soft doors. i located some steel full doors and a hard top and was pleased.

now i have wanted to go back to the soft top, and my wife purchased one for christmas from smittybilt for the 87 wrangler. all is well as i have the factory bow hardware but i do not have any door surrounds for the 87 since it was built as a soft top with soft doors. i know i dont have all the hardware for completion of my soft top install with the problem around my full steel doors. any and all help would be appreciated
sterobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
I have a BestTop Supertop. Love it, Its alot easier than the factory top, and seems to be holding up well. I have nothing to say about Viking as I have never seen one in person.
x2
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know a lot of guys like the Bestop but I have to say I'm not too impressed with mine. The window zippers failed after a year, the rail snaps don't stay snapped, the side windows don't stay fastended to the frame, the plastic windows seem to scratch a lot easier, and overall the fit and finish was nowhere near factory standards.

Just another opinion to consider.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.