Soft top rear window help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top rear window help

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Soft top rear window help

I recently acquired some rear soft top zip out windows (sides and rear) from a friend who got them at a garage sale. He doesn't know what year, model or top they go to. There are tons of tops without windows up on CL and I'm trying to figure out if they'll fit my jeep and possibly if they go to an aftermarket top. Is there some sort of way I should measure them to determine what they go to or do I just wing it and hope for the best? The windows don't have any tags indicating a brand on them and are tinted. If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lupton66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Give them a try. If they don't fit buy different ones.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

They're in great shape, no busted zippers no scratches or tears. My friend got 'em for $10. Replacement windows like the ones I've got are upwards of $200. I could almost buy a brand new full set of windows plus the top for around that. I'm trying to stay under $75.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great deal! Now go see if they fit!
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't want to go out and buy a top and then have it end up they don't fit. Does anybody know the different sizes of the windows? I'm assuming the one's I've got are factory because they don't have a tag like Bestop or Rugged Ridge on them anywhere.
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Geez.

1) You have the $10 windows in hand
2) you have a jeep you hope the windows fit
3) Quit posting and see if they fit!!!

Unread 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

How am I supposed to know if they fit if I don't have a top to try?
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just hold them up to your computer and it will be easy for us all to tell what brand they are and what they fit.

Generally a new top will come with windows. So you either have spares or just sell them for a profit and move on.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not getting a new top. Around here the ones on CL don't come with windows or they are baldy scratched or ripped to shreds. I can't justify buying a new one online for $300 when I can get one that's in good shape for under $100.
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So, what I finally hear is that you have windows and no top to try them on? Would've been nice to understand that when you first posted. Do have a jeep?
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I see what you are doing. You have found a soft top online for a really good price but it does not have the rear window. You have found a rear window online for a great price but are not sure if the two will fit or not. Basically, by my experience, not all companies sell a "universal" style zipper type product. I believe that each company will have their own type of zipper, but I could be wrong. So in point, I think that Bestop products will only fit Bestop, Smittybilt will fit Smittybilt, and so forth.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had a factory top and hardware the the PO used and was on the jeep when I bought it. The thing was crap. He had duct tape patching everywhere and used bungee cords to keep it from flying away. I got rid of the top shortly after bringing it home because it leaked all the time and simply looked awful. I put on a hardtop that I bought and have been switching between that and strapless bikini for the warm months. Now I've gotta move within the next 3 months and I'd like to sell the hardtop and get a soft top to leave on it all year round because a hardtop would be pretty impractical. I haven't needed to get a soft top here because it snows from September to April. I want to get a soft top before I go and part ways with the hard top here so I'm not lugging it halfway across the country. So I've found 3 or 4 on Craigslist that are top only, no hardware or windows that I'm looking to get because all I need is the top. I'm just trying to find one that the windows will fit on.
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Something to think about if you don't need the back half enclosed....

My YJ came with a decent bikini top(installed), shot factrory style full soft top, serviceable, but crappy upper soft door halves and windows for the soft top.

After getting a really decent $50 soft top on Fleabay (minus windows of course) and screwing around with fitting the PITA windows I already had, I picked up a slightly used Bestop roll bar wind curtain locally for about $15. With either the soft top or the bikini mounted, plus the wind curtain plus the upper soft doors the cab is really nice and weather tight. For not much $$.

If you don't have to enclose the back half, go with a soft top (or bikini) without windows and use a roll bar wind curtain.

Around here it seems easier to find deals on soft upper door halves and wind jammers/curtains than for soft top windows by themselves.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Like you, I have been searching for a soft top for my '88 YJ. When I found one on EBay I would place my bids, and at the last minute someone with auction sniper would snatch it from me. When I found one on Craigslist it was already gone by the time I had responded to the ad. So I looked for new tops online. I had found some decent tops starting at $298.00, but I also needed the frame as that my Jeep did not have that when I bought it. Frames started at $254.00. It would have cost me at least $552.00 plus freight to have a new soft top system.

Just this week I had scored a soft top kit including the soft top and all of the hardware from Amazon.com for $403.38, plus free 2-day shipping.

Don't give up, keep checking online, something will come up that is affordable.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Lupton66
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a wind jammer that I put on it with the Bikini top and that keeps the cab really quiet and dry, but quite often I've got people or stuff in the back that i'd rather not have soaked or stolen. It's a real pain pulling down the windjammer and sometimes the rear cover so I can bring something else along. I know that the soft top isn't anywhere close to theft-proof but it has to be somewhat of a deterrent for a passerby swiping some tools out of the back. It'd be nice to have the soft top on and not have to worry about any other tops. If it's raining, I'd slap on the windows and call it good.

Tags
rear windows , soft top , soft top identification , softtop , windows

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.