Soft Top Problems - There has got to be a better way!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft Top Problems - There has got to be a better way!!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #1
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Soft Top Problems - There has got to be a better way!!

I have a 92 YJ with a Bestop soft top. Putting it on is fine until i get to the snaps above the doors. They never line up and it takes a BFH just to get them in!! Are all tops this hard to get on? Is it possible to switch it with a TJ top and modify it some? Or does Bestop just suck! Please help there has got to be a better way. Could it be the sequence I put the pieces on? The snaps are usually last, should they be first?
Its hard for me to believe it takes such force to get it on properly.
Thanks for the help

Unread 04-23-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

why is it that no one will reply to a question about a soft top??? Are they not just as essential to the Jeep as fender flares or removing your air restrictors? Please people, soft tops have feelings too!
Have you hugged your jeep today??
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Beers_and_Bellbottoms

Hi, I have the Bestop soft top for my 95yj.(the tinted one) I haven't had any problems with it... you might want to check if its off centered... you might have too much on one side and not enough on the other... try taking the whole thing off and puttting it back on... Also, how cold is it out where you are... when the temp us below 60 degrees, it makes the fabric shrink.. or harder to strech and install.. in that cause, what I do is leave the "V" bar by the rear window the last thing to extend. Also, do you have the correct top for your jeep year?... It can also be defective. If its just the bottoms above the door.. you should be able to slide them to line up.. you can replace those as well if they are old and rusty, and they aren't too expensive. from what I've heard, Bestops are the "best top" for a jeep

Let me know if you do the TJ conversion. Sounds interesting.
Beers_and_Bellbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Dan Morera

1. Do the snaps first

2. Let the "v" last
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Funk,
I have a '92 with a Bestop and my snaps above the doors are on rails so that I can slide them to line up. As far as being hard to snap, when mine get that way I spray some WD-40 on both parts (male and female half) and it makes them snap real easy.

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:10 PM   #6
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

yea... my 88 yj has the snaps that slide back and forth so you can put em' where you need em' too.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:00 PM   #7
LoOpY

Yeah, mine slide on my 95 too. And im lovin my new bestop. I do the spreader bars last, thats what they got their name for anyway. If yours dont slide, id suggest maybe lookin for someone throwing out an old one that you could snag those front peices offa, i could just imagine the pain it must be if they wouldnt line up... else i know they do sell the whole hardware kit for like 150 bucks, but thats a tad extreme just for some stupid buttons thatll just break with time
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:00 PM   #8
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

Soft tops are a ***** to stretch back on in anything below 70 degrees.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:54 AM   #9
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if its possible to do a TJ to YJ soft top swap??
I have some friends with TJs but it won't be until the weekend when I can try it. I noticed in TJs they have a latch type attachment on the front windsheid I'm not sure how the rest of it connects. If anyone knows of this kind of swap please post the details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.