Soft top has me confused - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top has me confused

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Moatesh

Soft top has me confused

Ok i bought this 90 wrangler couple months ago now Im looking at getting a top cause this one has about had it. Now the issue, the frame, it looks like a factory frame cause has the 2 bars in middle and rear that slide. But it has round corners on doors? It has the round bar on the sides. I contacted Morris 4x4 and emailed them pictures and they were stumped also and forwarded the pictures to besttop. Any ideas guys? i just want a new top that will fit.

jeep-top.jpg

jeep-top1.jpg

jeep-top-2.jpg

jeep-top-3.jpg

jeep-top-4.jpg

Moatesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's an old Besttop Sunrider top. If I'm right, it will have two clamps that hold down the front along the inside of the front upper windshield edge. Cant tell by the last image if the clamp is there, but I'm 99.9% sure they are.

You need a Besttop Sunrider replacement skin. here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11004_1XX_PG.htm

Here's a link for you to check out the different tops available to fit your frame. There are other sources, just Quadratec does a good job of putting them all in one spot.
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
That's an old Besttop Sunrider top. If I'm right, it will have two clamps that hold down the front along the inside of the front upper windshield edge. Cant tell by the last image if the clamp is there, but I'm 99.9% sure they are. You need a Besttop Sunrider replacement skin. here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11004_1XX_PG.htm Here's a link for you to check out the different tops available to fit your frame. There are other sources, just Quadratec does a good job of putting them all in one spot.
X2. Looks just like my old BestTop
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnjeep View Post

X2. Looks just like my old BestTop
Agreed, sunrider frame. Had a big ol header bar that clamped to the windshield so it could fold back
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Moatesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
That's an old Besttop Sunrider top. If I'm right, it will have two clamps that hold down the front along the inside of the front upper windshield edge. Cant tell by the last image if the clamp is there, but I'm 99.9% sure they are.

You need a Besttop Sunrider replacement skin. here: http://www.quadratec.com/products/11004_1XX_PG.htm

Here's a link for you to check out the different tops available to fit your frame. There are other sources, just Quadratec does a good job of putting them all in one spot.
Your on it man it has the things to hold it down on the inside upper window frame. Holy Cow 800$ for the top thats insane! Surely you can just get the skin for way cheaper?
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
esterelyj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That top could also be replaced with a stock top skin as long as you got the windows as well. My stock 89 rounded door window top is identical except for the 2 bars which lead to the windshield. Mine has only 1.
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatesh View Post
Your on it man it has the things to hold it down on the inside upper window frame. Holy Cow 800$ for the top thats insane! Surely you can just get the skin for way cheaper?
It's a Bestop.. and it's $922 for the full kit.

Someone stated you could use a standard factory top. This is incorrect. the standard tops use a solid fold up metal frame around the doors and the stock tops would not fill the gap between the round door frame and the top. Square hole - round peg type of thing.

IMO, here's how I would approach this

1. Try and find just the skins - contact Bestop to get the part number for just the skins
2. if that's too expensive, look at the less expensive kits with "Factory" style hardware. You have a 1990, so your Sport bars wont lend themselves to a frameless soft top - so you'll need hardware.

Some brands to look at:

Rampage - I just bought a Rampage soft top, with all new hardware, for $400 from a local reseller. It's a good top, pretty quiet, and everything fit perfectly. It's not really thick or super quiet, but IMO it's a YJ - it'll never be all that quiet.

Quadratop - they are fairly cheap, around $650 for everything
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
Moatesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by esterelyj View Post
That top could also be replaced with a stock top skin as long as you got the windows as well. My stock 89 rounded door window top is identical except for the 2 bars which lead to the windshield. Mine has only 1.
So a stock top can fit without any modifications?
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moatesh View Post
So a stock top can fit without any modifications?
No, it won't. I don't know why he said that. The opening on a stock soft top is made for a square door upper.

Issues:

1. The factory top does not have the additional fabric to wrap around the metal rounded door opening piece. This lack of fabric will leave a gap the door uppers won't fill in.

2. The round door upper will leave a gap between the door and the top. Great if you want a breeze, but then why have the windows on at all?
picture1.jpg  
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

One last thing:

If you decide to get new hardware and top, you can probably sell your old top and hardware on CL for around $200. Just use a soft bristle brush and some simple green to clean it (ON THE JEEP - ask me how I know) and then treat the top with some of the bestop soft top restorer or any store brand soft top treatment (do not use plain old armorall). It'll look great and sell fairly quickly. Take pictures of it on the jeep for the AD (again - ask me how I know) and have it off and bundled up for them to pick up. This will help offset your new top purchase.
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #11
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You could swap out your sport bar for a family style bar which would allow you to use a frameless top.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #12
Luuca
TYPICAL /F12 HOOLIGAN

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
You could swap out your sport bar for a family style bar which would allow you to use a frameless top.
This is a great idea. Just remember to get the seat belts for the rear as well because the lap belts you have now aren't as effective as the shoulder belts on the family bars. Oh and also get the female ends of the new seat belts because your old lap belt female ends wont fit the new shoulder belts. and a new roll bar padding kit.

THEN go get a frameless soft top.... aaaaaand we're back up to around $900.
Unread 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
This is a great idea. Just remember to get the seat belts for the rear as well because the lap belts you have now aren't as effective as the shoulder belts on the family bars. Oh and also get the female ends of the new seat belts because your old lap belt female ends wont fit the new shoulder belts. and a new roll bar padding kit.

THEN go get a frameless soft top.... aaaaaand we're back up to around $900.
Just presenting another option, sorry it doesn't meet your requirements.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think the factory top is superior to all other tops because of the sliding rear support and the two bars up top that tighten.
You can easily put the top up in any weather and it's so tight you can play quarters on it.
Then it neatly folds up behind the back seat when you're not using it.

The frameless tops flap around and don't fit tight. They never look like the advertisements and have weird wrinkles and depressions.
It's a $200 top selling for $700.
Plus, the window surrounds stay on the Jeep. Yuk.
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
bruinjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I think the factory top is superior to all other tops because of the sliding rear support and the two bars up top that tighten.
You can easily put the top up in any weather and it's so tight you can play quarters on it.
Then it neatly folds up behind the back seat when you're not using it.

The frameless tops flap around and don't fit tight. They never look like the advertisements and have weird wrinkles and depressions.
It's a $200 top selling for $700.
Plus, the window surrounds stay on the Jeep. Yuk.
I'm not going to promote or denounce anything for the O.P.

The rampage top really does end up looking like the photos, tight and clean. It's the soft topper that supports the rounded corner (and hence hard doors) i have found that has the ugly wrinkles and fitment issues.

I agree that the framed soft tops are superior (esp. bestop +++), and really do have that charismatic charm to them, i personally love the look of the bows. No matter how much the entire top rattles while on the freeway driving into head-on winds (which sometimes gets scary and pops your ears with the loud thud from a cross wind. That being said $502 shipped (and since the O.P doesn't have windshield uprights another 19$ on top) for a frameless isn't a terrible option price wise, especially if the O.P doesn't have any full hard doors. **edit: and as i re-read my dumb a$$ learns he doesn't have the family roll bar - ma bad**

to O.P.... do as luuca suggest and sell it on CL... i just sold mine for 250$. It will off set some cost for a new top and hardware. Buy as you prefer - she's your template. Unless you have a great junkyard around where you can grab a family style roll bar for dirt - go bestop framed. Sailcloth preferred. When you're in it that deep for a new top, going the extra mile won't hurt. The longevity and endurance of the top will pay off.

And x5 on the old best top sunrider is what you have currently. That's the one i just sold.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.