Soft top choice? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top choice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull75 View Post
I have the Bestop Supertop in spice. Came with upper doors and tinted windows and all hardware. I'm happy with it. I think you can run full doors with it too.
full doors can be used. but how long ago did you get your supertop? i really want a soft top, and supertop seems to be my only option. i want it in spice too.the thing is i read so many negative things, but the negative things are also from a few years back. seems like every soft top is bad, except fOR OEM tops. i ordered a softopper recently, and returned it a week later because it simply would not fit my yj, even after being in the sun for a week. I had bad luck with the softopper...

Jrivv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
The softopper is a very well made top
my softopper didn't fit well at all. it was a PITA to put the windows and the velcro always managed to stick out. i talked to Larry, and everything was installed correctly. ended up sending it back,
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got my super top a few months ago. So its new. The fit was tight at first but the frame design allows you to put it on and adjust the bow assembly as it breaks in to keep it snug. I personally like it more than the factory top. It goes up and down fast. I did a few mods on mine to make it even better. The trick to the supertop is making sure your windshield rake is right. Plus you can run full doors which is nice.
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well after a couple of weeks, I still love my NX (OEM style) top. The doors are awesome! They fit tight, no leaks, and at 75+ they are closed tight as can be to the frame work. The snaps above the tops of the door to holt the top to the frame are a little bit of a pain, but you gain a great rain gutter to channel the water away from the doors. I have found that if you use two spring clamps to hold the top frame sides that hook to the windshield, in an upright position, it makes putting the top up much faster. Overall, the top is nice and tight, quiet, and water tight! (seriously... this puzzles me because the HARD TOP leaked!) In super heavy down pours, there is not a slightest hint of a puddle on the top either. I also like the way the factory frame uses an elastic strap and hooks to the belt rail on the tub. Nicer than the Velcro loop that you wrap around the other frames. In all, would I do it again? Yes! It's a shame that you have to use it with the half doors.... but honestly, if I am putting on the soft top, I sure don't want the full doors on the Jeep! I do wish that I could buy full soft doors with the square corners though.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know you said no frameless but I had a Bestop framed and now a softtopper frameless. Soft Topper is 100,000 times better. Quieter, much faster to install. Would never have a frame again
bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt View Post
Well after a couple of weeks, I still love my NX (OEM style) top. The doors are awesome! They fit tight, no leaks, and at 75+ they are closed tight as can be to the frame work. The snaps above the tops of the door to holt the top to the frame are a little bit of a pain, but you gain a great rain gutter to channel the water away from the doors. I have found that if you use two spring clamps to hold the top frame sides that hook to the windshield, in an upright position, it makes putting the top up much faster. Overall, the top is nice and tight, quiet, and water tight! (seriously... this puzzles me because the HARD TOP leaked!) In super heavy down pours, there is not a slightest hint of a puddle on the top either. I also like the way the factory frame uses an elastic strap and hooks to the belt rail on the tub. Nicer than the Velcro loop that you wrap around the other frames. In all, would I do it again? Yes! It's a shame that you have to use it with the half doors.... but honestly, if I am putting on the soft top, I sure don't want the full doors on the Jeep! I do wish that I could buy full soft doors with the square corners though.
i would get an Nx over a supertop, but as you said, it does not work with full steel doors, and i do not have any half doors. i was going to buy two piece soft doors, but i heard they suck, and they don't even fit with the NX since it requires a square shape.. good to hear that gives some satisfaction though.
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Jrivv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull75 View Post
Got my super top a few months ago. So its new. The fit was tight at first but the frame design allows you to put it on and adjust the bow assembly as it breaks in to keep it snug. I personally like it more than the factory top. It goes up and down fast. I did a few mods on mine to make it even better. The trick to the supertop is making sure your windshield rake is right. Plus you can run full doors which is nice.
good to hear! i feel more comfortable purchasing a supertop now, hearing that your's is fairly recent. i am sure I will be fine with it, aslong as i get it installed properly... but knowing my dad, his nosy characteristics won't let me do it bymyself, and he will most likely screw something up like drill more holes than need, put something in the wrong place or backwards, or break something. i will have to sit and stare at the instructions for awhile to make sure it goes on properly and try to do it bymyself. it comes with an installation video right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.