Soft top choice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top choice?

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-31-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this has to of been covered a million times, but the search is not giving me a good idea here!

I am in the market for a soft top in Spice for my 1995 YJ. Not really looking for the frameless top's. I do not have any hardware now, but I do have a set of half doors getting painted. I also have the hard top and full doors. That combo will be run in the winter.

So I want the top complete with upper doors. I would also really like the fold back sunroof. It looks like the two main tops would be the Bestop Sun rider, or the Rampage. Obviously the Rampage is much cheaper... But is it s good top? I don't mind putting the $1000 into the top, but don't have to do so just to buy the name!

I have never had a soft top other than the half cab, so I want to make a good choice, and saving $ is always a good thing as long as the product is good.

Thanks!

Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think that bestop is the best then, since you are not considering frameless. I have never owned a softop, minus my softopper. Every wrangler I have ever had came with full doors and a hardtop so I cannot help with that part but this softopper is badass and comes with everything you need to install and works with factory full doors
Unread 06-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the Rampage comes with upper doors. You would then have a softop with upper doors for the summer, and use your hardtop with the full doors in the winter.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if they are still as good as they used to be, but I just installed my 12 year old bestop replacement top on my wife's yj today and its still in great shape. A little dirty, but all the seems, zippers, windows, etc are still fine. I initially bought an off brand top to save a little money and had 2 zippers fail in under a month. Swapped it for a bestop replacement and 0 issues since.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think you get a better, thicker, made in USA top from softopper, unfortunately you have the "door dilemma" to deal with. What I plan on doing someday is pick up a set of TJ soft upper doors, modify them, and get a softopper for the summer. Full Hard doors in the winter.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Bestop Supertop in spice. Came with upper doors and tinted windows and all hardware. I'm happy with it. I think you can run full doors with it too.
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The softopper is a very well made top
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The softtopper may be a great top, but I do t like the look of it myself, and I don't want that door frame that bolts to the roll bar. Although, with the windows removed, it's a great looking top! It just doesn't do it for me with the windows on...

On another note, does anyone know for sure if the tinted window kit for the super top will fit the sunrider? The don't list the tinted windows for the Sunrider, or seem to sell it with tinted windows.
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my Bestop Super top over a year ago and I love it! I have not had a single issue. I am still using my factory frame, so not sure about repl frame quality, but the top is a gem.
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just a clarifying note, the softopper doesn't bolt to the roll bar.

I think I read that bestop makes the factory tops for jeep. Hopefully someone can verify this
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
Just a clarifying note, the softopper doesn't bolt to the roll bar.

I think I read that bestop makes the factory tops for jeep. Hopefully someone can verify this
Am I wrong here, but doesn't the window surrounds for the doors require you to drill a hole in the bars going to the windshield, and then you bolt it with a self tapper bolt?
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I do think I found which top I will go with. I have decided that the Supertop NX is the way I am going to go with.

I can't get the Sunrider in Spice with tinted windows, and i have a set of half doors, so I can run the OEM style frame the NX has. Looking at the design of the frame, I think it's far better than the standard Supertop design. I really like the way the door seals and the way the side windows attach as well.

I do welcome any input about the NX top though!
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you are right, i totally forgot about the spreader bar bolt. i think its two on each one. its been a while since i installed mine and i forgot about that till i was rereading this and thinking about it
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Son of a ..... Well, it looks like the Sunrider in Spice is not to be had with out a long wait, however 4WD DID have a Supertop NX in stock, with doors for $894.00 shipped! (Plus the $100 rebate mail in from Bestop) I really kind of like the NX over the Supertop when looking at the frame work. It just looks like a better sealing top. Although, now I have to rush to get my half doors finished, or at least in primer. I did not plan to keep the full doors on with the soft top, but it would be nice while I was getting my half doors finished up.

So after too much thought back and forth, I have the Spice top, with tinted windows, and it should be here in 4-5 days! Photos will follow once I get it going! I even found the same exact Jeep on-line, it's the right color and Rio-Grande trim too! I am really liking the look of this top, it just looks so much cleaner than the Supertop,
jeep-top.jpg  
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
yjlivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-Emt
I know this has to of been covered a million times, but the search is not giving me a good idea here!

I am in the market for a soft top in Spice for my 1995 YJ. Not really looking for the frameless top's. I do not have any hardware now, but I do have a set of half doors getting painted. I also have the hard top and full doors. That combo will be run in the winter.

So I want the top complete with upper doors. I would also really like the fold back sunroof. It looks like the two main tops would be the Bestop Sun rider, or the Rampage. Obviously the Rampage is much cheaper... But is it s good top? I don't mind putting the $1000 into the top, but don't have to do so just to buy the name!

I have never had a soft top other than the half cab, so I want to make a good choice, and saving $ is always a good thing as long as the product is good.

Thanks!
Smittybilt soft top!! I have a tan one on my 92 it's great dependable looks good and is easy to install
yjlivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.