Soft top advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft top advice

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Paranoia55

Soft top advice

So now that fall is coming and the tempature are getting ready to start dropping soon here in Colorado I think it's time to get a soft top heading my way. So I was looking for some advice based on what everyone else is using as to what I should get. I don't have a top that I can patch up so my only option is to get a new RAT or something better
I'm currently eyeballing the trail top by rampage, best top sunrider or best top sailcloth replace a top I'm hoping someone has some experience with these. Also the super top nx for the yj seems to be just a factory replacement and I can't really tell from what I'm reading if there's any added benefits from this one.
Any help is appreciated thx.

Paranoia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my softopper is cool. if the neighbors garage hadn't burned down and my softopper gotten a little melted, i would run it till it disintegrated away. now, i have to swap my hardtop on for the winter months, like i used to before.
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
my softopper is cool. if the neighbors garage hadn't burned down and my softopper gotten a little melted, i would run it till it disintegrated away. now, i have to swap my hardtop on for the winter months, like i used to before.
that sucks.... but sounds to me like your neighbor (or his insurance company) owes you a new Softopper
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i asked htem about it and they said their insurance said no. said i need to file on my own for it and then have my insurance company go after their insurance company. it sounds like i will pay for it in the end, doing it that way.
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i asked htem about it and they said their insurance said no. said i need to file on my own for it and then have my insurance company go after their insurance company. it sounds like i will pay for it in the end, doing it that way.
I see where you're coming from, but if it were me, I'd file the claim. since their fire was covered under their insurance, then your insurance shouldn't have any problems going after their insurance for reimbursement.

my theory is, you pay INTO insurance for the purpose of covering your butt when things like this happen.

either way, good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
JeepAddOnsChris
Vendor
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia55 View Post
So now that fall is coming and the tempature are getting ready to start dropping soon here in Colorado I think it's time to get a soft top heading my way. So I was looking for some advice based on what everyone else is using as to what I should get. I don't have a top that I can patch up so my only option is to get a new RAT or something better
I'm currently eyeballing the trail top by rampage, best top sunrider or best top sailcloth replace a top I'm hoping someone has some experience with these. Also the super top nx for the yj seems to be just a factory replacement and I can't really tell from what I'm reading if there's any added benefits from this one.
Any help is appreciated thx.
Rampage trailtop. We're running a couple of those and absolutely love them. The fit and look is excellent. I'd be running it on my own rig if the way I did my full custom cage would allow it. It's quieter in my experience than many of the standard tops out there as well.

The Sunrider is cool. I had one years ago and liked it. I didn't really use the sunroof feature much though. I'm either a top on or top off person.

The Supertop NX is pretty much a duplicate of the factory YJ hardware. It's offered as an alternative to those that don't like the standard Supertop hardware design.

Visit our site
http://jeepaddons.com
Like us on Facebook
http://facebook.com/jeepaddons
JeepAddOnsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
OldSkull75
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Bestop Supertop. I like it a lot. Fits well and goes up and down in a few minutes. But my next top will probably be a frameless top.
OldSkull75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull75
I have the Bestop Supertop. I like it a lot. Fits well and goes up and down in a few minutes. But my next top will probably be a frameless top.
This for me too. The frame gets in my way all summer long.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i called state farm to come look at my softopper. we'll see what happens
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love the look of the frameless Softopper. Even the Rampage frameless top looks great, but I am more of a top on or off guy and fear that having the ability to only go safari style will eventually bother me. I love the self storage windows etc, but at least with a traditional soft top you can fold it all the way back when you want. I am trying to pick a top right now too - tired of putting the hardtop on and want a good soft top. I have half doors as well and no frames for the skins so I think I would prefer running a top that will accept half doors and skins than the full steel doors that I also have - they are just heavy and cumbersome.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can take a frameless all the way off. It slides on and off like a normal bikini top
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj
You can take a frameless all the way off. It slides on and off like a normal bikini top
I know they can be removed. I just wonder if it's easier to get something that folds back in case you get caught in the rain. I don't think it's so easy to roll up an entire top and keep it in the rear of the jeep Without eventually damaging something or getting it stolen. I don't know, like I said I'm torn between the two ideas, So I will be following this thread to see what the OP chooses.

Excuse the typos, my iPhone is challenged.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I understand what you are saying. Here, in south Texas, if you take the top off completely, you get skin cancer and dehydrate by the end of the day so the bikini portion stays on all the time.
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Paranoia55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAddOnsChris

Rampage trailtop. We're running a couple of those and absolutely love them. The fit and look is excellent. I'd be running it on my own rig if the way I did my full custom cage would allow it. It's quieter in my experience than many of the standard tops out there as well.

The Sunrider is cool. I had one years ago and liked it. I didn't really use the sunroof feature much though. I'm either a top on or top off person.

The Supertop NX is pretty much a duplicate of the factory YJ hardware. It's offered as an alternative to those that don't like the standard Supertop hardware design.
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the rampage trail top I'm just worried about the durability being frameless and how well it hold up during winter. But from what I'm reading It seems to be pretty well made so along as its supported by the roll bar I shouldn't have snow randomly coming down on me hahah.
Paranoia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

supertop sucks. stock top was way quieter. I should have put the money into a hardtop

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.