Soft clutch pedal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft clutch pedal.

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
grizzlycb

Soft clutch pedal.

So I just got a brand new tranny and clutch pressure plate slave cylinder put in along with getting my flywheel resurfaced. (92 2.5 yj btw)Now my clutch pedal is softer than ever. I had a professional mechanic who happens to be my uncle put it all in for me since I work night shift and really needed my dd back. I've read it is air in the hoses. How do I go about fixing that on a yj?

grizzlycb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to bleed the system. The basics are to put a clear hose over the slave bleeder fitting, (I like to break the bleeder loose before putting the hose on it). Remove the master cap and fill it with fluid. Have a helper depress and hold the pedal to the floor, (say, "down"), loosen the bleeder; some fluid will enter the hose; watch for bubbles. Tighten the bleeder, (not all the way, just till snug), and say "Up", your helper will let off the pedal. Repeat this process until no more bubbles appear, or the pedal is firm, then fully tighten bleeder valve and fill/cap the master.

BIG NOTE HERE!!!!

Check the fluid level in the master EVERY 3 PUMPS! you will need to fill the master to the top after 3 pumps; if you go to 4, you may suck in air and be worse off than when you started!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Correct, just a couple of suggestions:

[QUOTE=EABiker;15244621]You need to bleed the system. The basics are to put a clear hose over the slave bleeder fitting, (I like to break the bleeder loose before putting the hose on it). Remove the master cap and fill it with fluid. Then replace the cap.Have a helper depress and hold the pedal to the floor and hold the pedal down until you say "Up", (say, "down"), loosen the bleeder; some fluid will enter the hose; watch for bubbles. Tighten the bleeder, (not all the way, just till snug), and say "Up", your helper will let off the pedal. Have the helper pump the pedal until it becomes firm before you bleed again. Repeat this process until no more bubbles appear, or the pedal is firm, then fully tighten bleeder valve and fill/cap the master.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
grizzlycb

Sounds like something I can manage I guess I'll do that when I go to put my lift kit on. Another question might be kinda a newbie question but does it hurt to drive it with air in hose?
grizzlycb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Captainak
1982 CJ7 

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

https://plus.google.com/photos/11645...83655447386049 or
Captainak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.