JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Soft clutch - Master/Slave issue? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/soft-clutch-master-slave-issue-1513025/)

killakeane 04-22-2013 04:58 PM

Soft clutch - Master/Slave issue?

Whats going on - I don't know why but lately the clutch is soft, sometimes no pressure at all and really gives me an issue changing gears. First is definitely the worst for it to get into. Sometimes when it happens i check the fluid and it ends up being low, other times its right where it should be. Not sure if it needs a bleeding or i should replace the master and the hose line. or maybe start small and check out the hose connecting it and tighten up the rings that are on it. Im worried that this leak (or whatever it be) will only lead to further issues.

the body is an 87 but, the engine whether replaced or something is an 88 so any help would be great, thanks!

jeff_in_rc 04-23-2013 08:14 AM

If when you check the fluid and it is low, do you see fluid leaking from under the Jeep? If yes then your slave has gone out but if there is no leak then try bleeding the clutch again, there might have been air in the system. A club member suggested that to bleed the system you don't fully pump the clutch pedal, you slap it with your finger tips about 50 times, he says it hepls get more air out. Now I will say that I have not tried this myself, just passing it along.

killakeane 04-23-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc (Post 15335128)
If when you check the fluid and it is low, do you see fluid leaking from under the Jeep? If yes then your slave has gone out but if there is no leak then try bleeding the clutch again, there might have been air in the system. A club member suggested that to bleed the system you don't fully pump the clutch pedal, you slap it with your finger tips about 50 times, he says it hepls get more air out. Now I will say that I have not tried this myself, just passing it along.

are you saying slap the clutch with my finger? im unsure of what you mean if you happen to know the link to where the guy said it i'd love to check it out thanks.

Louie4 04-24-2013 06:52 AM

Sounds like you have a leaky hydraulic throwout bearing. I had that happen to me years ago. I was having to bleed the clutch just to make it home from school. The leak was causing air to come back in the system. The fix was putting a new hydraulic throwout bearing but I went ahead and replaced all of it.

You could also have a bad clutch master cylinder. I had one that leaked on the inside of the firewall where the pushrod comes out. They are cheaper and easier to change than the clutch so it may be a better option.

jeff_in_rc 04-24-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakeane (Post 15338788)
are you saying slap the clutch with my finger? im unsure of what you mean if you happen to know the link to where the guy said it i'd love to check it out thanks.

You use all your fingers on your right hand to do this, not just one finger. I was told this by a club member and it is not posted anywhere, sorry.

You are only trying to move the clutch pedal a few inches, not completely pushing it to the floor over and over. Does that help?

killakeane 05-03-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie4 (Post 15340115)
Sounds like you have a leaky hydraulic throwout bearing. I had that happen to me years ago. I was having to bleed the clutch just to make it home from school. The leak was causing air to come back in the system. The fix was putting a new hydraulic throwout bearing but I went ahead and replaced all of it.

You could also have a bad clutch master cylinder. I had one that leaked on the inside of the firewall where the pushrod comes out. They are cheaper and easier to change than the clutch so it may be a better option.

Yeah i think it might be mostly an issue with the master, because from time to time i do see some fluid where the rod is. think its best to just switch the master?

StanF 05-04-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakeane (Post 15386777)
Yeah i think it might be mostly an issue with the master, because from time to time i do see some fluid where the rod is. think its best to just switch the master?

Because of the age, both the master and slave could possibly need replacement. But with the internal slave, it's much easier to change the master, so I'd start there...

...But, you could also consider going to an external slave setup like the later model YJs had. If you plan to keep your Jeep for a long time, it might be worth the extra work.

Louie4 05-04-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanF (Post 15387270)
Because of the age, both the master and slave could possibly need replacement. But with the internal slave, it's much easier to change the master, so I'd start there...

...But, you could also consider going to an external slave setup like the later model YJs had. If you plan to keep your Jeep for a long time, it might be worth the extra work.

What he said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakeane (Post 15386777)

Change the master due to the ease of access and see how it performs. If it continues to lose fluid and pressure then go to the hydraulic throwout bearing. It seems like you're throwing parts at it to figure it out but there are only two (minus the hose) that it can be.

This is coming from a guy who changed the slave cylinder first...just to find out it was the master.

The time now is 07:28 AM.