Soft brakes?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft brakes??

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Soft brakes??

Hey, this just started yesterday.. i was driving in 2nd gear and had to throw it in neutral and slam on the brakes to avoid a moron running from the rain without looking where they were going or if any vehicles were coming. needless to say i was shooken up a bit and the brake took a while to come back, than today while stopped on a hill i could hear the tires whining a bit as the break was slowly letting out and i was continuing to have to apply more pressure- almost to the deck so that i could remain stopped. Not sure what too do, nor what caused it - any ideas?

[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check your master for being full. If it is then check for leaks in the lines to be sure. After that I would check to see if the pads on the front are intact and readjust the rear shoes.

Post back if all this checks out.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
check your master for being full. If it is then check for leaks in the lines to be sure. After that I would check to see if the pads on the front are intact and readjust the rear shoes.

^^ this. Check the fluid level as stated in the master cylinder. If low it usually means the pads/shoes have worn out, inspect all four corners for wear, or... you sprung a leak at some point.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've been busy today so I'll have to check it out tomorrow some more. But I know the primary reservoir was a little lower than usually so i topped off both of them and put the cap back on and it felt better but a little while into driving the pressure started feeling similar to as it was the day prior. Do you think it might be the pads or the lines? I'm honestly not too knowledgable about brakes, well; anything car related and learn as I go with help when it's needed
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane View Post
I've been busy today so I'll have to check it out tomorrow some more. But I know the primary reservoir was a little lower than usually so i topped off both of them and put the cap back on and it felt better but a little while into driving the pressure started feeling similar to as it was the day prior. Do you think it might be the pads or the lines? I'm honestly not too knowledgable about brakes, well; anything car related and learn as I go with help when it's needed
I gave you a list as to what to check.. the list included checking the lines for leaks and the pads/shoes..

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I gave you a list as to what to check.. the list included checking the lines for leaks and the pads/shoes..
Well I've figured out its leaking from the front right brake line, not 100% certain as from where just yet though. I'll need to see if there is a visible hole in the line. I believe that it is right where the line which appears to be rubber with some form of possibly fiberglass type material over it meets the backing plate, or shoes whichever the correct term is. I was mid commute when i noticed the leak after stopping for gas so i taped that location up and it seemed to help a bit. Hate to bother you too much, but where do I go from here?
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Buy new brake line replace it and bleed. Use the two supplied copper gaskets at the banjo fitting and make sure to position the line so it doesn't rub.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Buy new brake line replace it and bleed. Use the two supplied copper gaskets at the banjo fitting and make sure to position the line so it doesn't rub.
Thanks man, that's what I figured I needed to do from reading a few articles elsewhere.

Tags
brake failure , brake line , help needed , issue , soft brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.