JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Soft brakes?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/soft-brakes-1532390/)

killakeane 06-04-2013 05:50 PM

Soft brakes??

Hey, this just started yesterday.. i was driving in 2nd gear and had to throw it in neutral and slam on the brakes to avoid a moron running from the rain without looking where they were going or if any vehicles were coming. needless to say i was shooken up a bit and the brake took a while to come back, than today while stopped on a hill i could hear the tires whining a bit as the break was slowly letting out and i was continuing to have to apply more pressure- almost to the deck so that i could remain stopped. Not sure what too do, nor what caused it - any ideas?

Mark05059 06-04-2013 05:55 PM

check your master for being full. If it is then check for leaks in the lines to be sure. After that I would check to see if the pads on the front are intact and readjust the rear shoes.

Post back if all this checks out.

idaholtby 06-04-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark05059 (Post 15519745)
check your master for being full. If it is then check for leaks in the lines to be sure. After that I would check to see if the pads on the front are intact and readjust the rear shoes.

^^ this.:thumbsup: Check the fluid level as stated in the master cylinder. If low it usually means the pads/shoes have worn out, inspect all four corners for wear, or... you sprung a leak at some point.

killakeane 06-04-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark05059 (Post 15519745)

I've been busy today so I'll have to check it out tomorrow some more. But I know the primary reservoir was a little lower than usually so i topped off both of them and put the cap back on and it felt better but a little while into driving the pressure started feeling similar to as it was the day prior. Do you think it might be the pads or the lines? I'm honestly not too knowledgable about brakes, well; anything car related and learn as I go with help when it's needed :thumbsup:

Mark05059 06-05-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakeane (Post 15520702)
I've been busy today so I'll have to check it out tomorrow some more. But I know the primary reservoir was a little lower than usually so i topped off both of them and put the cap back on and it felt better but a little while into driving the pressure started feeling similar to as it was the day prior. Do you think it might be the pads or the lines? I'm honestly not too knowledgable about brakes, well; anything car related and learn as I go with help when it's needed :thumbsup:

I gave you a list as to what to check.. the list included checking the lines for leaks and the pads/shoes..

killakeane 06-05-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark05059 (Post 15521559)
I gave you a list as to what to check.. the list included checking the lines for leaks and the pads/shoes..

Well I've figured out its leaking from the front right brake line, not 100% certain as from where just yet though. I'll need to see if there is a visible hole in the line. I believe that it is right where the line which appears to be rubber with some form of possibly fiberglass type material over it:confused: meets the backing plate, or shoes whichever the correct term is. I was mid commute when i noticed the leak after stopping for gas so i taped that location up and it seemed to help a bit. Hate to bother you too much, but where do I go from here?

jokerchief462 06-05-2013 02:15 PM

Buy new brake line replace it and bleed. Use the two supplied copper gaskets at the banjo fitting and make sure to position the line so it doesn't rub.

killakeane 06-05-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerchief462 (Post 15523398)
Buy new brake line replace it and bleed. Use the two supplied copper gaskets at the banjo fitting and make sure to position the line so it doesn't rub.

Thanks man, that's what I figured I needed to do from reading a few articles elsewhere. :cheers2:

The time now is 11:41 PM.