Soft brake after brake pad change help please!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soft brake after brake pad change help please!!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Soft brake after brake pad change help please!!

Hey guys I got a 1995 wrangler and the front pads where pretty worn down so I bought some new ones. In the midst if doing it the passenger bleeder bolt stripped so I got a new caliper and put it on! Btw the driver caliper was replaced a few months ago also!! So I installed the pads on both sides. Then I open up the brake fluid resivoir and the one side for the rear brakes is empty so I fill it up and just leave it and don't notice any visible leaks. So I go on with the process of bleeding the font brakes with someone holding the pedal down and I loosen. The bleeder bolt a quarter turn for a second then tighten it. Then they release did it a bunch of times, used a bit of brake fluid and put everything together now my brakes are even way softer then they were? I dont know how I can bleed it to make it better I bled them several times I'm stuck now? Any help is appreciated

wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
DrYJ92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you bleed the whole system or just the front brakes? The usual procedure is to start the furthest from the reservoir to the closest. This is normally rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver. Any air in the system can cause a soft pedal. If you have no leaks try bleeding all the brakes in the correct order.
DrYJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if one side of the reservoir was dry you'll have to bleed the master cylinder first, then bleed the rest of the system in the order noted above
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Ok Ill try to find the leak any reasons why it would be dry with no leak?
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

How do you bleed the master cylinder
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
many many videos on the web on how to do it

here's a short one
http://www.ehow.com/video_2327999_be...-cylinder.html

and one with more info
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/vid...earchType=byId
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You bleed it via the front or back brake lines. There is a bench bleed procedure, but it is usually not necessary. First off.... The larger of the two reservoirs, the one nearest the booster (rear most) is for the front breaks. Second off, let's first make sure that you have the calipers installed on the correct side. Both calipers are easily swapped by mistake, or easily bought from an ignorant sales person. Please first make sure both front calipers have the bleeder screw on the top of the caliper. If either are on the bottom, then it is wrong and will make it impossible to bleed. You can use a bleed system with reservoir which makes things easier, but I prefer old school. Crack a front side bleeder loose and then have someone completely depress the brake pedal and hold. Then tighten said bleeder. Continue this sequence until clean brake fluid flows out of the bleeder without any air. Be sure to tighten the bleeder each time before the pedal is released. Also be sure to maintain fluid level in the reservoir while doing this. If you let it run low, it will suck air and you will then be back to where you started. Do so for the other side after this is completed. The front and rear hydraulics are separate and are so for safety reasons. If you only messed with the front, then only the front should need bleed.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

as you bleed them you have to add fluid to the master, don't let it run dry or you will suck air into the system....
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
You bleed it via the front or back brake lines. There is a bench bleed procedure, but it is usually not necessary. First off.... The larger of the two reservoirs, the one nearest the booster (rear most) is for the front breaks. Second off, let's first make sure that you have the calipers installed on the correct side. Both calipers are easily swapped by mistake, or easily bought from an ignorant sales person. Please first make sure both front calipers have the bleeder screw on the bottom of the caliper. If either are on top, then it is wrong and will make it impossible to bleed. You can use a bleed system with reservoir which makes things easier, but I prefer old school. Crack a front side bleeder loose and then have someone completely depress the brake pedal and hold. Then tighten said bleeder. Continue this sequence until clean brake fluid flows out of the bleeder without any air. Be sure to tighten the bleeder each time before the pedal is released. Also be sure to maintain fluid level in the reservoir while doing this. If you let it run low, it will suck air and you will then be back to where you started. Do so for the other side after this is completed. The front and rear hydraulics are separate and are so for safety reasons. If you only messed with the front, then only the front should need bleed.
You sure about that?? I believe the air will be at the top of the caliper, not the bottom. The bleeders have to be at the TOP....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
You sure about that?? I believe the air will be at the top of the caliper, not the bottom. The bleeders have to be at the TOP....
Yes, you are 100% correct. I misspoke and thank you for correcting this I have edited my original reply to correct this error and hopefully prevent any confusion. Thanks again!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

The brake resivior did run dry when I had to go to the store to get a new caliper
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The brake resivior did run dry when I had to go to the store to get a new caliper
Well there's yer problem!

Bleed the system and don't let it run dry.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

But I did bleed it a lot hahah and it still does the same thing
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you bench bleed it?

If not - start there, then do a normal bleed or else you'll be spinning your wheels forever (pun intended).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

To bench bleed it I have to get those new screw in nipple thing that go into the master cylinder haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.