SOA YJ With Ladder Bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA YJ With Ladder Bar

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SOA YJ With Ladder Bar

While building my SOA kit I decided to keep my rear traction bar in order to help with spring wrap. Unfortunately the other day the bracket that I had built in order to lengthen the traction bar snapped in two from how much my axle was wrapping. After a little bit of research I bought a ladder bar from MORE which is said to be built specifically for SOA jeeps to help reduce axle wrap. My concern is where exactly to weld the front bracket on the ladder bar to my skid plate. I have seen where they build a crossmember in oder to mount the bracket but I have also seen it where they weld it on to the stock skid plate. How exactly would you beef up the skid plate in order to handle this much pressure without cracking or bending the skid? I would like to be able to do this without having to build a crossmember. I have a 1" T case drop that I fabbed up in order to help with driveline angle so my skid is sitting a little lower than stock. Any advice on how to beef up my skid plate to handle that amount of torque would be greatly appreciated!

Caboose89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't use a factory skid. But that's just me. I've seen it done before however.
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I "boxed" the rear area of the skid & mounted the MORE TB to it.

After ~9 years & numerous Johnson Valley/Hammers trails runs plus countless other trail runs, it never gave me an issue. If done by a piss poor installer, it'll have issues no matter how its done.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
I "boxed" the rear area of the skid & mounted the MORE TB to it. After ~9 years & numerous Johnson Valley/Hammers trails runs plus countless other trail runs, it never gave me an issue. If done by a piss poor installer, it'll have issues no matter how its done.
By "boxing" the rear of the skid did you just use square tubing along the skid?
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thinking about welding a 5/8 plate underneath my skid to beef it up a bit to mount the ladder bar, any thoughts?
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't use square tubing. We used some 2x1/4" steel plate & contoured it to the natural shape of the skid. 1 piece contoured the bottom, while another piece was used vertically to create a boxed shape.
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

BTW: After I installed the MORE TB, the folks at MORE liked my install enough that they used my pics for their instructions.
Unread 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
BTW: After I installed the MORE TB, the folks at MORE liked my install enough that they used my pics for their instructions.
Do you have any pics of the mount you built?
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #9
yukonwheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

after i snapped my ladder bar on first run 12 inch SOA 35" detriots and 4.88 i installed "military wrap springs" dont need ladder any more rides a bit stiff but not bad
i have remote res bilistien shocks helps alot.
yukonwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #10
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonwheeler View Post
after i snapped my ladder bar on first run 12 inch SOA 35" detriots and 4.88 i installed "military wrap springs" dont need ladder any more rides a bit stiff but not bad
How'd you snap it? Too much travel? Ive got fox shox so it helps with the ride quality I just don't want to have to sacrifice the factory leafs softness and ability to articulate. I feel that military wrap springs wouldn't allow as much travel considering there stiffer?
Unread 02-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonwheeler View Post
I think you should focus on using two hands on your crack pipe and leave your keyboard out of this.
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
yukonwheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it cracked weld at pumpkin hard to weld cast, to be honest i didnt leave enough play to allow axle to wrap a bit. so it stressed the weld. my springs limit flew less then ladder bar i had soft spring before and the flex difference is minor.
jeep.jpg   jeep-2.jpg   jeep-3.jpg   jeep-4.jpg  
yukonwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finished mounting my MORE ladder bar. I used a 3/8" 14x10 piece of AR plate and welded it directly onto the skid. Then drilled two holes to mount the ladder bar onto it using some grade 8 1/2" bolts so that I can still drop the skid if needed for maintenance. I also notched a piece out of the bracket that welds onto the axle housing so that I could keep my break lines in the original place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.