SOA vs SUA - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA vs SUA

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

soa and cheap in the same sentence?
done right, a spring over will be a LOT more than a sua lift, not less.
if you plan to go soa anyways, may aswell save the pennies IMO.
sorry to hear about your job situation BTW..

martin

2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
soa and cheap in the same sentence?
done right, a spring over will be a LOT more than a sua lift, not less.
if you plan to go soa anyways, may aswell save the pennies IMO.
Ahhhh,you know how it goes Martin. I remember when I first joined this forum.... gathering all the info I could for "my SOA build." Then, after reading and reading.... and more reading on this forum.... reality set in with both my fab skills and my pocketbook.... so I'm left with what I currently have in my signature (and thoroughly enjoy it I might add).

To the OP, just think about what you want to do with your rig. I know SOA sounds exciting right now.... but what are your future plans? After realizing that I drive 95% of the time on pavement and only offroad about once every three weekends.... all of a sudden a 4" SUA lift seemed perfect for what I wanted (and needed) to do.

I am not old nor wise.... I just have an opinion like every other (blank)hole.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
plaidfro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
I know SOA sounds exciting right now.... but what are your future plans? After realizing that I drive 95% of the time on pavement and only offroad about once every three weekends.... all of a sudden a 4" SUA lift seemed perfect for what I wanted (and needed) to do.
Sounds like me too
plaidfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Big dreams.
i know i know, a guy can dream though.
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

soa is something to research, and then research again.
there is a post in the faq that i made regards part numbers, prices etc.
i can knock out a soa in a weekend now, or two full days, whatever. but thats after doing them, and assuming the parts i say and know to get.
a sua lift kit would be the way to go if hard core wheeling isnt in your future, its a very good point that jack makes, make it so it does the job for the majority of your driving.
only problem with sua is getting good riding leafs that flex well and give the lift you need/want. more arch, less flex and ride quality.

just my .02

martin
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Choose wisely!
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #21
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
only problem with sua is getting good riding leafs that flex well and give the lift you need/want. more arch, less flex and ride quality.
To the OP in reference to what Martin said:

Should you go the SUA route, I'll tell you that I went from stock leafs with track bars to a RC 4" lift (with nitro shock upgrade, if it matters) with no track bars. I'm going to assume that not having track bars was the biggest influence on my ride, but the RC 4" kit rides pretty darn nice for a $450 kit and they aren't even broken in yet.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #22
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

and to prove i do what i say to do...
i had 6.5" leafs on the xj when i bought it. rode like crap.
i installed a shackle relocation box giving me @1" of lift. went with re boomerangs giving me 1.5" of lift, and then got me some nice sexy alcan 4" springs.
ride is 200% better with the less lift springs...
see i dont just preach!

martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #23
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good info guys, well, i've got a buddy who has done this several times, i do'nt have the room or half the tool at my house ot do all this, i was talkin to him about doin all this and i knew he'd done it his own YJ before and several others also, told me him andone of his buddies have a shop about 5 miles from my house, said if i brought him the axle he'd install it and do SOA for 100 bucks (sounds like a sweet deal to me) as i talk to this guy regularly i'm confident he wo'nt try to pull a slick one on me with a crappy job, not that i think he would do that to anyone anyways.

when i siad "cheap" i meant as in not having to buy springs or some fancey kit... i know i'd need an SYE, driveshaft, shocks, and probably brake lines none of which are cheap, which is WHY i'm probably gonna stay SUA for the time being until i can get the money for all the goodies.
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
Ron_K
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I been reading and reading and reading again as suggested.
The more I do, the more it appears the 4" RC will be my choice.
Then I think about Ride comfort off-road... brings me back to the Stock Leafs & the SOA.

I really don't care about the ride on the road, as long as it tracks straight, I hate fighting my 4x4s driving on the tarmac.

Mainly ride comfort matters off-road to me, getting beat to snot from the ruts and holes heading out to our land takes its toll..

I like what has been said about the amount of Flex the Stock leafs are said to give on the SOA-
I have seen guys on the route roll over trying to cross stuff, I would not think about doing in my old RC.
I have also seen guys flex their way through those same nono places for me & my old RC.

Anyways-
I could get some Add-A-Leafs and bring it back to par, but be stiff as "Hates"... & not

Still after weeks of reading, I am on the fence about the SOA or just dropping the coin for the 4" RC- SUA..

choices choices.
91 YJ, rear body armor with rock rails and TJ filler conversion. LED Tail lights. 33 x 15.50 x 15 SS TSL SX's on black steelies. Home made Bumpers and swing out tire carrier. MileMarker H9000 Winch, H/T & Bikini Top, full doors & half doors. ~RIP~ C.D.K. 11-11-08 (miss you baby)
NTM 1989 XJ 2 Door Cherokee Sport, I6/auto/Swingout carrier, Custom Stereo system that makes my heart skip a beat.. IT'S My New DD and da^% happy to say I finally own one ;)
Ron_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
Goobersbro

If you have the time and ability go SOA if you want it here and now and dont want it to take time buy a RC lift
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
kbcjeep

I would say go SUA. for a lot of the reasons already mentioned.

plus soa with soft flexy springs will wrap up like no other, I used to blow u-joints all the time. I even built a heavy anti wrap bar, but half ripped it off the axle, fixed that up. then broke the heim on the other end. I wheel really hard that might have had something to do with it.
kbcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #27
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after reading the posts in this thread, I think it shows that it really boils down to how a guy wants to set up their Jeep according to wheeling needs and pocket book. Which IMHO, has always been the case with most.

Me thinks I would heed Martins advice and posts. To me, SOA and SUA are apples and oranges. Set up right, there should be no comparison.

For example: You can see my sig and how my junk is set up. I do what I would call 'medium extreme' wheel'n. I wheeled Moab with Joe Dillard last season (my junk stayed home). In comparison, our Jeeps are similarly alike. Both about the same height, , same axles (his are a little more pollished, but the same), same gears, same tires, ext. The difference, he's SOA. I can say straight up... Joes rig out performs mine. Hands down. I'm not saying my junk cant do what Joes does, or go where his goes, (I've done the Con and similar local trails) but its "HOW" it does it. Keeping the meats on the ground when needed, the ease of crawling over obstacles, rocks and such. It really makes a difference.

Having said all that, I also like AxlJacks post. That purdy much sums it up, too. Set your rig up to your means and what your gona do with it. Either way, if its set up right, it'll do what you want it to.

some pics for fun...

Joes rig on Billings

my junk when I had the RE's on it...

and a friend of mine's coilover TJ on the same spot... anyone notice a difference?

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.

Last edited by RockWoRM; 02-04-2009 at 06:27 PM..
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #28
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

So... what did the OP decide?

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

must be a mystery....

Martin

Choose wisely!
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can tell yall from my experience that a bds 3.5" lift and 1.25" shackles, with a 1" bl and some trimming at the rear fenders will clear 36 sx swampers and flex real good no problem. She also rides great on the road.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.