SOA vs SUA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA vs SUA

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOA vs SUA

ok, once again i'm preparing for axle swap. i'm dead on money and i'd like to do it soon, but i want to make sure its good to go in the long run and more advantageous to me. I was planning on doin the SOA while i was at it, BUT seeing as how i'll need a SYE, new driveshaft and ideally an antiwrap bar along with new shocks, i'm thinking about just leaving it SUA for the time being, and later on this summer just gettin some 4.5" springs from RE to clear the 35's that will be on there. i feel my lift now will clear the 35's ok, but not very well once i get to flexin.

QUESTION IS: when you go SOA does it increase the the flex, or just the height? my leafs are already kinda saggy, so they'd need replacing eventually anyway, and at this point i wouldn't HAVE to buy the new driveshaft and shocks at this very moment. if SOA does increase flex i'd probabaly wait a while and jsut go that route

ps. i searched a lot for this but so many threads came up irrelevant to this and i was tired of reading through them and never could get an answer, any input is appreciated.

Unread 02-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I went from a POS 4" SUA lift to SOA on factory springs, the increase in flex was substantial, and ride quality was vastly improved. However, my 4" springs were stiff as hell, other brands of better quality should flex better than what I had (BDS, OME, etc....) Using 4" springs on SOA will give you a pretty tall ride, though.

I'm switching to some RE 1.5" springs made for SOA use. The factory springs that I used to get my SOA swap on the road were shot.
Unread 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good info .. if i did do the SOA i would use the factory springs, i would not get the lifted springs becasue like you said that would be super high and i'm not in favor of tipping over every turn. also i've got a buddy with an XJ sitting in his yard not running, from what i've read the D30 in those is identical to the YJ (his XJ is a 94), and he's got 4.11's which would match my 8.8 4.10's great and would be a ton cheaper, i can probably get it for about 200 bucks with the front suspension included, and mount that up, so i guess i'm starting to lean away from SOA for the time being. maybe later on do like you did and get just a 1.5" SOA leafpak and i tihnk that would be a pretty sweet setup.
Unread 02-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wife's Jeep is SOA on new, stock height springs, 1" shackles, 1" BL, 33" tires. It measures 29.5" from level ground to the bottom of the rocker panel measured at the door area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Goobersbro

Mean max are you ever going to slap some 35 A/Ts on there
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

awesome, thanks for the pic that gives me perfect perspective, did you put new shocks on it? thats my next thing to figure out.
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

In the pic my jeep(orange) Soa on 1.5 in lift springs, red jeep is soa on saggy stock springs, and the grey jeep is sua on re 4.5 in lift springs.

90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wow thanks stinger, awesome pic, i'll probabaly just go SUA for now to save some money, but thats not to say i won't always stay SUA, is there any real advantage (besides cheap lift), to go SOA? either way i'll need new springs eventually, so seems to me not having to make or buy an antiwrap bar and worryin about more stuff breakin and the money it wail save me now (laid off college student), i might as well stay SUA.
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm pretty sure one of the above posters said the quality in the flex department substantially improves with SOA. If you plan on lifting i would save your money to eventually do SOA, if i owned a yj i would never spend my money on a SUA lift.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
Goobersbro

cheap lift owe i need to stop laughing anyways lol yea there are tons of advantages one is a smoother ride better flex good height and im sure there are more
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well, for now i'm gonna have to stick with SUA becasue i can't find a job to save my life, but i already have the axle (luckily i bought it jsut before ig ot laid off) and a buddy to help me put it in who has done theis several times. once i do get a little dough, i tihnk i'm gonna go SOA in the rear, and find a XJ font end and do coilover.
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
Mean max are you ever going to slap some 35 A/Ts on there
I would but I can't get these damn BFG A/T's to wear out!

Over 40K on them and they still look new! WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman320 View Post
well, for now i'm gonna have to stick with SUA becasue i can't find a job to save my life, but i already have the axle (luckily i bought it jsut before ig ot laid off) and a buddy to help me put it in who has done theis several times. once i do get a little dough, i tihnk i'm gonna go SOA in the rear, and find a XJ font end and do coilover.
Big dreams.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #15
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I would but I can't get these damn BFG A/T's to wear out!

Over 40K on them and they still look new! WTF?

rofl thats funny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.