soa vs re 4.5 extreme duty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > soa vs re 4.5 extreme duty

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-18-2001, 08:05 PM   #1
JYRUS

soa vs re 4.5 extreme duty

can someone give me the pros and cons of both. how much difference is there in flex. thanks for the help.

JYRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2001, 08:08 PM   #2
Brendan

The SOA has a better on-road ride, and much better flex. The RE kit will cost you 1000 to purchase, but nothing to install. The SOA is much harder to install, but in the long run it is worth it.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2001, 09:10 PM   #3
RodeoRob

I helped put the RE 4.5" kit (non extreme duty) on my friends YJ. It rides considerably rougher and flexs decent. In retrospect, I'd rather have done a SOA just for the ride quality aspect.
-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
ralstonm

remember that the Extreme and the regular RE lift use totally different springs. The regular one just has Pro comp 4", which are notoriously stiff. The Extreme 4.5 is supposed to be much better.

The SOA, like everybody has said, flexes and rides better, but is a ton tougher to put together and get running right. It complicates driveline, steering, brakeline, and possibly axle wrap issues.

Try a search of the archives on this and I bet there is more info on this dilemma.

Matt
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:02 PM   #5
bob91yj

Without regard to which rides better- SOA is typically going to be a custom job, and it may be difficult to find a shop willing to do the work if you don't plan on doing it yourself. Welding and parts fabrication are usually required. I also understand there are some states in which the SOA is illegal. The RE 4.5" Extreme Duty is bolt on, and can be done in a driveway with hand tools and a floor jack. It can be installed in a weekend, including the SYE.

That being said, I love my SOA and wouldn't really consider going back to SUA under any cicumstances. I helped install an RE 4.5ED on a buddies Jeep and have since wheeled with him. I'm pretty impressed with the flex of the RE, and my buddy is very happy with the ride quality on the highway.

I think either would be a good choice. Big help, huh.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.