Soa vs long arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Soa vs long arm

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Soa vs long arm

So I figured my next big investment will with be a Soa or long arm kit. I have heard plenty about how good the Soa is but what about some cons other than price? Also has any had any luck with a coil over conversion? Thanks

Unread 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Better for what? It looks like you've already got your SYE, and you'd be looking at some steering mods either way with that much lift, so that would be the same for either setup. A SOA would probably be a little bit simpler, and cheaper than a coilover and long arm kit. SOA ride quality and flex would depend greatly on whcih springs you pick.

The coilover would give great flex and coils ride a lot nicer. But again, it comes down to what you're willing to spend.

If money were no object I'd personally pick the coilover.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I have a buddy that works at 4am and fabtech makes a 8 inch kit that ranges from 1500 to 5k. Depending on shocks steering components etc. Money is an object my plan is to save 1500 or so over winter. What springs work best for soa? I have the 5 inch Bds sua. But I want something that will preform great in the rocks and still be stable enough to clear at least 37s. I am going to get tube fenders and comp cut the rear so I may just not end up getting a new kit but for some reason i just want bigger! Haha
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to go big I've heard great things about the OME's HD springs on a SOA setup. The reports are that they still won't sag and they maintain the good ride quality that they are known for SUA.

You'll be sitting tall for sure. The HD springs sit at about 3.5" and the SOA itself will net you about 5.5". So that would be just above the 8" range that you were talking about. And that's if you're on stock heigth shackles.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
ryanwhiteaker

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Give Clayton Offroad a call and ask them about their yj coil conversion long arm kit. They have a pretty nice set up and my buddy has the kit on his YJ. He has been pretty happy with it over the years.
TRADED IN - '07 WK Limited 5.7L - OME HD kit l Rusty's .25" strut spacer l 255/75R17 l Spidertrax spacers all around l Powerwire l K&N CAI l JK MOAB black wheels l Rola Rack with Yakima spare tire mount system l 4xGuard belly skid l 4xGuard Rocker Guards
335I M Sport (e93) - plenty of mods so far :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
it appears that REAL Jeeps leak fluids everywhere, spend more time parked in pieces than being driven, rust completely through the floor boards, gauges don't work, heaters don't work etc...
ryanwhiteaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
brccurry
1989 YJ Wrangler 

soa

I just finished my soa conversion and couldn't be happier. I used Superlift 1.5" springs with Doestsch baja ryder shocks. I also used a Ford 8.8 rear end and stretched the front and rear 1".
I used the JB4x4 steering bracket. I set the caster to 7.5 degrees.
I rides much better than it did before with a 4"sua.
I steers and handles much better, in fact it drives as good as my Chevy Duramax.
brccurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Done properly, a spring over axle conversion or a coilover conversion will both take a lot of work and money but the coilovers will cost more and probably take more work to install. I would figure out what you want to do and do it. Don't settle on leafs because they're cheaper or coils because they're better, do what you want so you don't kick yourself in the *** for listening to other folk. Because when it comes to actually getting out and wheeling it, not comparing numbers with guys online, as long as you drive your truck into and out of the woods it doesn't matter if you go with coils or leafs.

A coil sprung suspension will generally provide a technically better suspension than a leaf spring in terms of flex and comfort, but I prefer the leaf springs because they are simple, reliable and tough. All you need to worry about is setting your pinion angle and installing springs. Leaf springs will bend, snap, pivot, whatever and still work until you can fix or replace the part. On most occasions, when a main leaf snaps, the vehicle will be held up by the rest of the suspension and allow you to limp home or at least get out of the woods.

The idea of SOA is that you're gaining lift height by relocating the spring mounts instead of relying on a heavily arched spring so most people will run either a stock height or small lift spring. 0" lift, 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2".

With your price range I would stick to leafs. You will need a high steer setup, all new spring perches and u bolts, rear anti wrap bar, new shock mounts, extended brake lines and whatever else I forgot. You can probably set it up yourself for 1,500 but if you're buying everything and paying someone to install it you will need to save up more bones. You will most likely spend close to that on parts either way.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I love my leafs to and have seen people break and limp back home. A Soa is a lot of work I have heard and I would imagine a coil conversion would be worse. I would imagine. I have lots of stuff needed for a Soa. Main investments would be new springs, high steer kit and little nick nacks. I'm thinking of doing a stretch as well. But that's a whole different thread. Bds springs would be my choice for Soa most likely I love my 5' sua. But my next question is without a stretch would the Soa with 2 or 2.5 be stable and also clear 37s?
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
redrubi03
1989 YJ Wrangler 

it will be plenty. i ride on 37 and sagged stockers and there is some rubbing when flexing but with new springs you shouldnt have much of an issue
redrubi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie-Evans View Post
But my next question is without a stretch would the Soa with 2 or 2.5 be stable and also clear 37s?
I'm SOA on 2" BDS springs and could easily clear 37's
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

I'm SOA on 2" BDS springs and could easily clear 37's
How is the ride on the trail? Tipsy at all?
Unread 08-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

soa, stock springs with extra main leaf, stretched total of 14"s(11" rear, 3" front) no body lift and clears 37's nice with flat fenders and comp cut and does awesome offroad and flexes just as good as coils
img_5081.jpg   img_5082.jpg   img_5086.jpg   img_5304.jpg  
rsz_img_5089dlge.jpg

95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

"THE MORE YA PLAY WITH IT.....THE BIGGER IT GETS"
highrolrcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have had 4 jeeps, two of them with leafs. I will never build a leaf sprung jeep for hardcore offroading again. It's hard to beat a properly setup linked/coilover jeep. Cost more but well worth it in the end.
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
highrolrcustoms
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
It's hard to beat a properly setup linked/coilover jeep. Cost more but well worth it in the end.
true....a leaf spring suspension will out perform a poorly set up linked system any day......ive seen it first hand. there is alot of caculations that go into a linked suspension....its not as simple as just building some links and buying some coilovers and putting some mounts here and there.

also i feel that if you have a fully linked buggy and can do every obstical and make it look easy what fun is wheeling? i believe in a challenge and sometimes it puts a smile on my face when i am able to do somthing that a linked buggy cant...
95 yj juggy, backhalfed, 3 link front with 16" fox dual rate remote resi coilovers, 4 link rear with 16" fox air shocks, Monster Stak 2 Speed transfer case 4.33:1, full width ford 78/79 dana 60hp front axle with 538 gears and full spool, ford sterling 10.25 full width rear axle with 538 gears welded and disc brake conversion, 42x15 swamper tsl's on 15x8 Allied wheels 3.5" backspacing with DIY beadlocks, High Steer with 1.5x.250 dom tubing, Full Hydro steering, custom cage, rci 2161a fuel cell ,smitty xrc 8 winch, cv driveshaft, jk motor mount lift, racing seats with simpson 5 point harnesses

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/3-4-ton-axle-swap-has-begun-1108933/[/url]

"THE MORE YA PLAY WITH IT.....THE BIGGER IT GETS"
highrolrcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrolrcustoms View Post
also i feel that if you have a fully linked buggy and can do every obstical and make it look easy what fun is wheeling? i believe in a challenge and sometimes it puts a smile on my face when i am able to do somthing that a linked buggy cant...
Well not every obsticle, there are still some I have not been able to do, but you do turn things up a notch. A few years ago I had a trip planed to JV with my coil over rig and found a hairline crack in the knuckle the day I was to leave. I still had my old leaf spring 4 banger on 35's. Thru it on the trailer and took it out to JV. Had to work my arse off on those trails but the challenge was fun.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.