SOA and traction bar question.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA and traction bar question..

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Skooter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SOA and traction bar question..

I see everyone who does SOA say you must have a traction bar system. I am curious why they have to have one after SOA? There are a few million vehicles out there with leaf springs over the axle with no trac system and they do just fine. What makes a YJ leaf and axle so different?

Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The new pinion angle after you do a SOA. Makes axle wrap too easy.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
I see everyone who does SOA say you must have a traction bar system. I am curious why they have to have one after SOA? There are a few million vehicles out there with leaf springs over the axle with no trac system and they do just fine. What makes a YJ leaf and axle so different?
The jeep draintrain length is too short. You quickly exceed the max u-joint angle and pop them. We also 4wheel and a bunch of trucks just see the street. Take some cues from Formula Toy builds. F-toy have to be leaf sprung to compete. They also put in anti-wrap bars.

From personal experence...Your anti-wrap bar design can also cause rear hop. Make sure you make it as long in length as possible. I had a shorter one and had bad rear hop climbing rocks. I stretched my rear wheel base 4 inches and lengthen my anti-wrap bar like ~6"-8" inches. No more rear hop and the tires hook up better.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ springs are soft , when you go SOA its too much strain and you will get alot of wrap which will eat rear drive shafts/ujoints. I went SUA rear and SOA front and love this set up.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Skooter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ROCK View Post
The jeep draintrain length is too short. You quickly exceed the max u-joint angle and pop them.
Now this I'll buy, I just cant believe YJ springs are all that soft. My YJ has more leafs than my Dakota and the Dak hauls 2000lbs around all day without a trac aid.

Quote:
From personal experence...Your anti-wrap bar design can also cause rear hop. Make sure you make it as long in length as possible. I had a shorter one and had bad rear hop climbing rocks. I stretched my rear wheel base 4 inches and lengthen my anti-wrap bar like ~6"-8" inches. No more rear hop and the tires hook up better.
What engine/power do you have? I guess Im safe in assuming a 300hp 340 is going to compound my problem in that repect?

Btw.. thanks for the input from everyone.
Unread 08-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the SOA suspension. Started with Rancho 1.5" lift springs without a traction device. See picture. Destroyed the springs. Replaced with factory five leaf, and did the same thing. Built and installed a traction bar, no more problems. And you know how sometimes YJs squat in the rear under acceleration, gone.
misc-pictures-1582-.jpg   misc-pictures-1586-.jpg   play-time-004.jpg  
yj87ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now this I'll buy, I just cant believe YJ springs are all that soft. My YJ has more leafs than my Dakota and the Dak hauls 2000lbs around all day without a trac aid.
Has nothing to do with the "softness" of the springs. It's pretty well proven that it's needed, seems like a silly waste to do all the work of going SOA and not complete the job.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter

What engine/power do you have? I guess Im safe in assuming a 300hp 340 is going to compound my problem in that repect?

Btw.. thanks for the input from everyone.
I have the stock 4.0. HP compounds the problem. Here is the hopping that I was getting,

http://erock.rockfrogs.org/Video/Indy_exit.wmv

It is gone now! I stretched the wheel base, added wheel base length, and run ford ranger springs.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Skooter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj87ben View Post
I have the SOA suspension. Started with Rancho 1.5" lift springs without a traction device. See picture. Destroyed the springs. Replaced with factory five leaf, and did the same thing. Built and installed a traction bar, no more problems. And you know how sometimes YJs squat in the rear under acceleration, gone.
What in the world are you using for a power plant?? I havent seen that done to leafs since my 440 Cuda on N2O!!

I guess I just cant wrap my head around the geometry of the YJ suspension and yes.. I will be building a traction device to keep that from happening and thanks for the length and spring brand advice.
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
Skooter
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the stock 4.0. HP compounds the problem. Here is the hopping that I was getting,

It is gone now! I stretched the wheel base, added wheel base length, and run ford ranger springs.
Thanks again for your advice E Rock.
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think it all depends on the vehicle.
I had severe axle wrap. 4.0L SOA with Rubicon Express SOA springs.
I could not keep a rear driveshaft under it so save my life.
Some freinds I wheel with have a YJ SOA 2 inch lift springs 4 cylinder,
another has a CJ SOA XJ springs in front reverse shackle, no name springs on rear, Ford 304.
The last has stock CJ springs SOA with a AMC fuel injected 360.
None of them have have axle wrap.
Not sure why?
I will say a traction bar is alot cheaper to build and install than replacing driveshafts.
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
SkyJumper

Quote:
I have the SOA suspension. Started with Rancho 1.5" lift springs without a traction device. See picture. Destroyed the springs.
Well one of your major issues with that leaf warped is not necessarily from torgue wrap, but that of you running a too large/long of a perch. That perch is way too long and flattens out the spring too much at center mount contact. You should be using a smaller perch IMHO.
SkyJumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What in the world are you using for a power plant?? I havent seen that done to leafs since my 440 Cuda on N2O!!

I guess I just cant wrap my head around the geometry of the YJ suspension and yes.. I will be building a traction device to keep that from happening and thanks for the length and spring brand advice.
2.5L 4cyl., AX5, NP231 to D30/35 4.56s, w/ARBs.
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2.5L 4cyl., AX5, NP231 to D30/35 4.56s, w/ARBs.
Hey, you can find my info now. Just click on my jeeps in my sig (I figured I'd help you out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
yj87ben
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJumper View Post
Well one of your major issues with that leaf warped is not necessarily from torgue wrap, but that of you running a too large/long of a perch. That perch is way too long and flattens out the spring too much at center mount contact. You should be using a smaller perch IMHO.
You could be right. The perches came from Rocky Road Outfitters in their piece of crap Bolt-on SOA kit. Needless to say the perches(rear)aren't bolted-on. The 8.8 will be in this month, and I'm going with much shorter perches from Cut throat 4X4.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.