SOA to SUA??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA to SUA???

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 11-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #16
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes Harley, 35s, no body lift, factory fender flares. I still don't have the pinion angle set, so I haven't driven it much. I have no idea how flexible these springs are or at what point the tires might rub. But for the kid to drive to school and back it should be fine until I get stock replacement springs and go soa. Hoping to set pinion angle today.

worleysc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
So you are running 35 inch tires SUA with a 4 inch spring and no body lift or cut fenders?
Did you not see he got pro-comp springs? They won't move enough to hit or rub! But he may be in trouble later when they sag!

Sorry worleysc, j/k. could'nt resist! lol.
used to own pro-craps... not a big fan of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I couldnt stand the way my 4 inch pro comp springs rode but sag is one thing they never did. I couldnt fit a 35 though I dont think.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, movin' on from the 4"/35s...I never really got an answer on my original question. Remember, I'm a newb and I'm learning as I go. Sometime before the end of the month I will install new stock replacement springs and a 9" rear with 4:56 gears f&r. By Spring a new 44 in front, I hope.
Unread 11-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

And this is supposed to be your kids first vehicle? I'd consider just getting him a stock Jeep, and make him work for it. Keep this one and make it yours so he can be jealous of what his dad has and work even harder to get it

He's a kid too, he's going to drive it like a racecar at first, so you need as safe of a vehicle as you can get. I know this because I was in those shoes not too long ago.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worleysc View Post
Okay, movin' on from the 4"/35s...I never really got an answer on my original question. Remember, I'm a newb and I'm learning as I go. Sometime before the end of the month I will install new stock replacement springs and a 9" rear with 4:56 gears f&r. By Spring a new 44 in front, I hope.
OK, what was the original question? Axles not centered? B/c in a later post you made it sound like you had already got the axles mounted under the Jeep to know the 35s would work. So help us out here. Are these the stock 30/35 combo? Were the old sua perchs removed? Is it still off center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #22
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How about a pic? When you say centered tell us what you mean. Side to side? Or front to back in the center of the wheel well? I have seen alot of SUA jeeps with 4 inch springs and it looks like the rear tires sit to far forward in the wheelwell. Really bad looking with extended shackles also.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #23
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My bad...the rear axle appeared to be forward almost two inches from center. I don't know if the shackles are stock length or not and the stock sua perches remain in place on the front and rear (30/35). I just drilled out the perches and plates on the rear axle to offset the difference, it's really close to center now. Front remains set back almost an inch and will remain that way until I get new springs and gears, and...

it's never going to end, is it?
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #24
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As far as 9" big or small bearing, 31-28, doesn't matter, still better than a stock Dana.
Its easy enough to upgrade that 9" to 31 spline. A 31 spline carrier can be had for change most places or you can pick up a used round track Detroit take off for a couple hundred bucks off ebay. As for shafts just get you a set of moser or superior chromos and be done with it. The small bearings wont be a big deal with 35s. Do consider putting a truss on it. As for the 3.00 gears, I think you will be alright there.

Quote:
it's never going to end, is it?
Negative, they are a disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I finally got it all worked out, I think. After purchasing so many different springs not getting the results I was hoping for, I made my own leaf set. Im sure this is going to create some talk, and I always want your advice, even if I disagree in the end, and that's why Im posting. You guys may tell me something i didnt consider, even tho it's done and works fine. Oh boy, here goes...I removed the 4" springs and sold them. I took two leafs from an old 6" set (too high) and three from the new stock replacement set (too soft) and married the set according to length. Resulting in a five leaf pack in the front and i have a three leaf pack in the rear. This is a soa mount with an additional 2-3 inches of lift from the springs. The shakles (too long) are aftermarket and came with the Jeep, they may even be custom made, either way they are the next to go. Pinion angle is good, axles are centered in the wheel wells, spring rate is really good, not too soft, not too hard. Rides pretty good considering it's so high and on 35's. The 9 inch rear axle is underway and Im just wating on a gear set, which is on hold until I choose a locker. I just purchased another 9/44rs axle set Saturday. The 44rs is going to sit a while until the rear is done and I win the Lotto. My main concern would be the spring packs. How long will they last? How stupid was that? So many options on trac-bars, which is best for my situation?
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #26
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

No way of telling how long they will or wont last without knowing the details of the springs. If they can hold up to the weight of the rig, are not Pro Crap or Rough Country, they may last forever
Time will tell, but you went ahead and made your own, so that rarely works perfectly the first time does it? If they sag, add another leaf or remove a leaf and add a heavier one.
Trac bars are just not needed on a Leaf sprung rig as a rule. You can of course add a front one to help in the front axle trying to move when you turn. Just make it easy to remove when not needed though (for off roading etc).
I just run a sway bar on my rigs, and they handle just fine, but I don't know the type of springs you have, so not a direct comparison.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #27
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

alot of people build there own springs packs... they should last just as long as the packs you took them out of.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. The 6" are Skyjacker and the stock replacement are standard Crown replacements, not the HD version. I run the sway bar, but would like a trac bar up front for on road use. That high on 35s @ 70-75mph on the interstate, stuff tends to flex a lil....Another question would be the steering box (ie; flex, strain, etc.) and the best solution to correct this. From now on, Im asking questions first, wrenching second. Thanks again.
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here are a couple of steering setups I did.
First on our XJ, second on a YJ I just built for a guy.
Our XJ:
trac-bar-n-ram.jpg
ram1.jpg

Dave's YJ:
front-underneath.jpg
Both setups are using .250 wall seamless tubing for the tie rod and drag link. Our XJ has a brace from the trac bar bracket to the opposite "frame" rail for support. It has hydro assist, so not a lot of stress on the steering box itself.
The YJ may well be going hydro assist too, so no brace made for that one yet.
Mountain Offroad make a nice one you can look at, then base your design off that if you wanted to. A steering box brace is a good thing though, especially on a YJ.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

i know the jb cross over steering kit is really popular and ive heard good things but when i get around to doing my steering im going to go with this

http://www.rocky-road.com/yjott.html

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.