SOA to SUA??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA to SUA???

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SOA to SUA???

I purchased an 89 YJ with a spring over conversion and worn out 3.5" Superlift springs that had leafs removed (2 from the front and 1 from the rear), great off road, not so great on the road. Decided to make it safer since my son (his first vehicle) will drive it most of the time. So I purchased the only springs my local 4wp center had in stock for a YJ. 4" procomp. Pretty close to what was on it, so why not. Bolted right up, no problems, except now it was a little too high. Should have planned better, I know. It's all good, spring under will give a solid 4" lift and I can still run the new 35 inch tires that came on the jeep. The problem I have now is that the axles are not centered in the wheel well, front or rear. WTH? The pins are located in the center of the spring pack and we measured that before we started tearing it down. I still need to relocate the spring perches for pinion angle, and yes the new cv shaft is probably too long now, and Im not happy about that, but I should have planned better, I know. Any advice or explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

worleysc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

nothin really you got it covered, relocate perches, set pinion angle, modify driveshaft, only like 80 bucks. another option that most guys do is keep the soa with the stock springs thatll give you a nicer ride and 5.5in of lift. using lift springs with soa is an accident waiting to happen most of the time
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So today I was piddlin around in the shop, cleaning and thinking. Scary stuff. As I prepare to yank out the rear axle housing as to weld up new perches, I hit a road block. An old 9inch (3:00-1 ratio) from one of my Galaxie projects is right in the way. Tape measure in hand, I think what the heck. Guess what, it measures out to 60.75 exactly, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, yoke to CL of axle is the same, cool. Tear down begins.
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's not gonna be the same shaft spline count as trucks. Ill guess 28 instead of 31. Just fyi
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

good stuff on the 9"

SOA on 4" springs is going to give you a BIG jeep. That thing is going to be dangerous on the street unless you spend some bucko's on the steering and driveshafts.

I would suggest going back to sua on the 4" springs if you dont want to mess with the steering, etc.

EDIT: I actually read your post this time, and realized that you already decided to go SUA. Disregard this statement ^

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worleysc
As I prepare to yank out the rear axle housing as to weld up new perches, I hit a road block. An old 9inch (3:00-1 ratio) from one of my Galaxie projects is right in the way. Tape measure in hand, I think what the heck. Guess what, it measures out to 60.75 exactly, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, yoke to CL of axle is the same, cool. Tear down begins.
If you are going to install a ford 9" in your jeep you will need to upgrade to 31 spline shafts. The 28 spline shafts WILL FAIL with larger tires and moderate abuse. I have a ford 9" in my jeep, I'm 100% happy with it. I have 4.56 gears and a Detroit locker. You need to invest in new shafts if your going to go for it.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would order a set of stock replacement springs and stay SOA

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. For now I'm staying with the 4" sua, I like the way it rides on asphalt.
As far as the 9" goes, 28 spline is correct. But it is a direct bolt in minus the perches and shock mounts, which I have to do fab work on either axle.
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Its not a direct bolt in if it doesnt have the same gear ratio as the front. 3.07 gears. 35s and those gears and it will be a turd. Also unless you have a body lift 35s wont fit with a SUA 4 inch lift.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
plmqazed
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ripper basically just said it all
plmqazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
nothin really you got it covered, relocate perches, set pinion angle, modify driveshaft, only like 80 bucks. another option that most guys do is keep the soa with the stock springs thatll give you a nicer ride and 5.5in of lift. using lift springs with soa is an accident waiting to happen most of the time
meh I run SOA and 3.5 springs and 5/8 shackles, no sways and no trac bars, its quite manageble on and off road actually... drive it accordingly... its not a race car thats for sure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffyj View Post
That's not gonna be the same shaft spline count as trucks. Ill guess 28 instead of 31. Just fyi
yes the spline count on a 9" out of a car is 28 spline. UNLESS it is a 9" out of a big block or hi-po mustang/torino (boss 302, boss429, boss351, 428 SCJ, etc then you will have the 31 spline axles with the larger bearings
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
worleysc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, gears are inevitable anyways. I was merely referring to the dimensions. 35s will fit, that part is done already, more than enough clearance. As far as 9" big or small bearing, 31-28, doesn't matter, still better than a stock Dana. Thanks for all that helped, not so much to those that just try to squash.
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So you are running 35 inch tires SUA with a 4 inch spring and no body lift or cut fenders?
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
durrster1128
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thats what i was running on my jeep before the rebuild. they actually fit nicely.
durrster1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.