SOA with stock susp. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > SOA with stock susp.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-26-2001, 03:56 PM   #1
Dan Morera

SOA with stock susp.

I have an 1988 yj, is it possible to do the SOA keeping the stock susp. on my YJ? if so, what are the pros and cons?

Do I have to change my drive shaft and pit arm? Do I have to get a kit to lower my tranny?

I new in this matters so any help will be apreciated.

Unread 12-26-2001, 04:46 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Well osburn is the man to answer this question.But I thought about it and it can get pricey even if you do the welding and all on your own.Yes i think there are drive trian mods you will have to do.But im sure some one else will answer this for ya.Later
Unread 12-26-2001, 07:59 PM   #3
bigblueyj

i ask rayray or osborn they both soa and really good guys here a link to rays site http://rayray.rockcrawler.com
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:14 AM   #4
rayray

Dan,
It's a little more then keeping your factory suspension. For starters, the only thing you will be able to re-use is your springs. And that's if the springs are in very good shape. As for things to change, well, here is a run down starting from the rear.

Spring perches - since your moving the springs over the axle, you'll need someone who can weld the new perches on. This can be tricky on the rear axle since you must get the degree correct so your drive line angle is correct. There is no need to remove the old perches.

Spring wrap - you will need some way to control rear axle spring wrap. When using YJ springs, even with the clamps shut and low HP, your rear axle will wrap. Trust me on this, mine does it.

Rear drive shaft - since the slip yoke is in the tcase of a 231 (which yours is on the border of what tcase you have in an 88) in order to extend your drive shaft, you must move the slip yoke to the drive shaft. This is done with one of the many slip yoke eliminator kits (SYE) available. With the SYE, installed, now you can replace your drive shaft.

Front spring perches - like the rear, you'll need the spring perches welded on. Since they should be parallel, the front axle is a little easier.

Steering correction - There are many avenues to take here. Personally, I like the cross-over route. You can use a drop pitman and the factory style steering, but it's less then adequate for street use like that.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:23 AM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job Ray. That's a good summation. The only thing I'd add is that with 33s or less, I think the wrap is tolerable. You'll have some hop as a result, but it's nothing that can't be managed with technique. I ran 33s SOA with stock springs for quite a while and was able to take on the steepest of ascents without much trouble. Once you get over 33s though, no amount of technique is gonna help. You must do something about axle wrap.

Oh and shocks. You're gonna have to buy new shocks unless you move the mounts to accomodate the shocks you have. And that will result in reduced flex.

I really need to get my site fixed. I have all this SOA stuff pretty well documented. But when geocities was assimilated by Yahoo, my pictures all went south.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:40 AM   #6
Dan Morera

So basically I'm screwed, I the guy from Costa Rica and we don't get any kits here, no SYE, no SOA kits.

I wasn't planning on going over 32's. Do you think NAPA will have at least a susp. lift? (We have NAPA down here)

Must of my off-roading I do it on mud, very little rock climbing here, any way mud is my thing. My YJ is stock but I haven't found a mud hole that I couldn't get out of (NOT YET)

Thank for all the help guys.
Unread 12-27-2001, 10:29 AM   #7
rayray

Doh! Forgot about the shocks.. hehehe

I'm still on 33's for the moment, but I did recently run into a problem with wrap. My first time actually. It was on a stair step, I didn't know factory springs could move that much

here's a pic.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2001, 12:53 PM   #8
CF

If you just want to get 32ís on her and donít need any more flex, canít you get away with a body lift? Or how about those longer shackles? Itís gotta be way cheaper to have either of those shipped down there than a suspension lift.

If you want that kind of lift, I MIGHT be able to bring down a small kit like that for you when I go down in February. Donít get all happy, thatís a big-*** "MIGHT" . Iím going down there with my woman and may be my pops. They may object to meeting stranger down there since we already have hook-ups in San Jose.
Unread 12-27-2001, 01:21 PM   #9
Dan Morera

Thanks CF don't worry, if you can't you can't. I would actually like to have some flex, sometimes when it gets dry down here the trails get very deep holes or when I get out or into a river there's nothing like a little flex.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.