JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   SOA steering bracket (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/soa-steering-bracket-1017843/)

nj95yj 04-22-2010 08:27 AM

SOA steering bracket
 
Dana 30 High Steer Knuckle for Jeep Wrangler (87-06) Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc.


Discuss..... Pros????Cons??

Mean Max 04-22-2010 09:55 AM

For starters, the name of the part is incorrect IMO. :thumbdown:

It is NOT a "high steer" adapter, it is a "crossover Steering" adapter.


"High Steer" IMO puts ALL of the steering up high & out of harm's way. With this part, the tie rod has no more protection than stock. It only serves to address the drag link angle, which can be done cheaper with a dropped pitman arm.

I give it a "Thumbs Down" :thumbdown:

Max :cheers2:

timatoe 04-22-2010 10:36 AM

There's a little bit of info in here.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...racket-943642/

fratis 04-22-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Max (Post 9331996)
It only serves to address the drag link angle, which can be done cheaper with a dropped pitman arm.

not with a soa configuration. a drop pitman arm alone is useless (never even had one on my soa) as the leafspring pack is literally in the way of the drag link. this bracket was designed at a time when there were little options for proper steering on a soa. outside of a knuckle and hub swap the teraflex knuckle was the only option, but it was expensive and the casting had the draglink arm too long. this bracket along with some other products now on the market, that are "cross-over" units, are good options for those going soa but not ready to swap front axle assemblies. much better then a drop pitman arm and a "z" bent drag link.

nj95yj 04-22-2010 12:07 PM

does anyone have one? can it handle a beating?

notmyj 04-22-2010 01:12 PM

I have it. I just installed it on my SOA build. I havnt had a chance to use it yet cause the build isn't done, but this think is close to an engeneering marvel. It is def built to take some abuse. I don't forsee any problems with it.

Since I already had SRE's on my steering, it was the best option for me. $150 is definately a fair price for the build quality and strength that are built into it.

If you get it, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

jdarg 04-22-2010 03:20 PM

I have the tera knuckle, soa on stock springs. My drag link limits my flex because the tera knuckle places it so high up...this one looks even worse in that respect.

I'm going to switch to the jb4x4 bracket. It puts the drag link in the most ideal spot for stock springs SOA. I'm not a fan of the stock steering but I'd rather carry some spares vs limit my flex given the choice.

If yuo are gonna run lift springs then it doesn't matter as much.

Mean Max 04-22-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fratis (Post 9332317)
not with a soa configuration. a drop pitman arm alone is useless (never even had one on my soa) as the leafspring pack is literally in the way of the drag link. this bracket was designed at a time when there were little options for proper steering on a soa. outside of a knuckle and hub swap the teraflex knuckle was the only option, but it was expensive and the casting had the draglink arm too long. this bracket along with some other products now on the market, that are "cross-over" units, are good options for those going soa but not ready to swap front axle assemblies. much better then a drop pitman arm and a "z" bent drag link.

I agree, my comment fails to address the SOA crowd.

However, on my wife's '93 SOA YJ I used a true high steer kit, and I'm so pleased with it that I wouldn't even consider another option on an SOA application.

Max :highfive:

czjeeper 04-22-2010 03:45 PM

I put a JB4x4 bracket on my brother's YJ (SOA) and it works great.
I mention it because it is the most cost effective way, IMO.

nj95yj 04-22-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdarg (Post 9333872)
I have the tera knuckle, soa on stock springs. My drag link limits my flex because the tera knuckle places it so high up...this one looks even worse in that respect.

I'm going to switch to the jb4x4 bracket. It puts the drag link in the most ideal spot for stock springs SOA. I'm not a fan of the stock steering but I'd rather carry some spares vs limit my flex given the choice.

If yuo are gonna run lift springs then it doesn't matter as much.



yes i'm using lift springs for it so it should be ok


The time now is 12:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.